Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
guys what do you have? please share why do you like your helmet or dislike it.

I bought the Icon Hooligan mainframe when I started riding street 3 yrs ago...
a budget helmet and I just needed to get something to get me started. yes, I know you get what you pay for. :rolleyes:

that said: I absolutely despised the helmet from a month or 2 of owning it.
It retailed for $375ca when I bought mine I think I paid around $275 since I bought a bike from the same place. you can land one now for about $120 usd. I recommend you flip it upside down bury it and plant a flower in it.:p

cons: It's torn along the neck, both the vents broke; so now it fogs up. (btw, they broke almost immediately) the liner doesn't come out for washing so I have to dunk it to wash it.

pros: got lots of compliments by non riders (nobody cares lol)
dot and snell approved. easy to remove the shield.

what am I looking for:

pull out washable liner.
a nice silver (sun/heat reflecting) color to match my sprint
good vents and over all quality.
quiet as I dont use earplugs.
decent pricing. but I will $$ buck up and shutup this time. ;)

what have I looked at:

Scorpion EXO-700, EXO 1000
HJC carbon fiber ( they flake badly on a mild drop because clear coating CF is not a great thing) so this is most likely out. + big ugly sticker is under the clear coat)

Looking at Shark's now but they seem weirdly shaped.
also looking at Arai and Shoei.
I will most likely will replace the next one in 3yrs too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I ride with a Arai Profile and before that an Arai Signet GT before that an array of HJCs and a Bell. The choice for me was fitment, then comfort, airflow, quietness.
I have a "long oval" shaped head and the Profile (signet previously) is a perfect fit.
Since it fits so well, it is automatically comfortable to me. Arai also uses very nice materials in the liner.
Airflow though this helmet is superb in my opinion. I especially like the visor mounted vents that direct cool air to your forehead. Add in two front mounted upper vents, two upper back and two lower back vents and you can really appreciate the flow in 95 degree Florida sunshine.
All this airflow makes the helmet noisy...so I add a little cotton to the ears before heading out for a long ride. It is not so loud that I feel the need for any kind of extra hearing protection for the daily 17 mile commute to work...although I am not nearing redline ever on those trips.

Arai uses different shell sizes for different helmet sizes and cheaper helmet manufacturers have a common shell size and add thicker padding for smaller sizes. (I wear a xs Arai and I could almost fit the shell of the Arai INTO the xs HJC.) After a few weeks of riding in the HJC or Bell the helmet would shimmy on my head as the padding was compressing. I can still comfortably wear my Arai Signet GT I purchased in 2002.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Do the Suomy helmets come with bug spatter, or is that an added-cost option like the iridium shield? :D

I've been pretty happy with my Nolan flip-ups; first an N-100E, then an N-102. They ain't the quietest thing around, though. If you want to do it right, you need earplugs anyway. (And if you'd rather do it the way I do, you'll need in-ear headphones & an iPod full of punk rock.)

Removable liner is overrated. Getting the damned thing out is almost as big a pain as washing it.

Silver should be easy. AFAIK, all helmets are legally required to be available in black, white, silver, & wineberry. (Seriously, why are they all available in that '70s shade of red? It's the equivalent of apliances being available in avocado green.)

Good vents are widely available, as long as "good" means "able to keep your head cool in Winter & warm in Summer." Else you may be SOL with any brand.

Good general quality, OTOH, is available in pretty much anything above the bottom tier.

Cheers, good luck,
-Kit

·
Registered
164 Posts
I like mine, but with the noise thing I can't say for sure. I know someone with the same model and he says his is whisper quiet and yet I think its noise with dirty air making noise near the back, so I use a thing that blocks air getting in the bottom and earplug (i know you dont but I find they make riding so much easier).

Anyway I digress, isn't it nice? The guy in the shop bought one and was ordered by his girlfriend to take it back for some reason..

·
Registered
659 Posts
bmw sportintegral is very very quiet, light and good visibility and very stable at speed.

made by schuberth for bmw. worth a look.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I literally just ordered the new HJC FS-15 Carbon this morning from New Enough. They have it for $325. The FS-15 is the replacement for the AC-12. My buddy had the AC-12 and was happy with it. I'm hoping some of the minor issues, like the reported clear coat problems, are resolved by now. We'll see!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I just posted this here...

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/99076-new-arai-helmet-model.html

I think you will be able to find a great deal on the "old' Arai RX7 "Corsairs" with the above news...

Cheers G

ps:- Just finished CoH OF.... fun game Tango... had a laugh seeing your sig line on the back of that tank.... :cool:

pps:- When buying a new lid it is recommended to only use it for 5yrs from "date of manufacture"... for Arai helmets there is a small date tag on one of the chin straps with this info....

·
Registered
115 Posts
I love my Shark RSR2. My next helmet will be another Shark. Very light and comfy. $$$ but worth it especially on 400+ mile days.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had the same deliberations last year but because my head is so small my choices were much more limited. Here's what my research uncovered:

Suomy: excellent lid, more noisy than most but the lightest lid around. (Had to return, just too big for my head)

Arai: Great helmet if you find the model that fits your head shape. Usually the most exspensive of the lot though. (Tried on, fit fine, but still needed to give Shoei a try at that point)

Scorpion: From what I have heard from lots of folks, great all around lids and the best bang for the buck period. (Too big for my head)

Shoei: Just like Arai, if a Shoei fits your head shape you will be a fast believer so long as you pony up the $. I settled on the X-11 and have not regretted it for a second. In fact, I'll always be a Shoei customer from here on out.

I've also heard good things about Vemar. AGV may be good too, ask Valle and see what he has to say about AGV. HJC is actually fine but somehow I just don't think they could possibly hold up as well as some of the others, back to the you get what you pay for comments...

Well anyway, that's my short (or not so short) list.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
HJC CS-R1

Pros - saved my head when it smacked the ground going real fast. Cheap. Sunglasses fit nicely inside. Design has grown on me, and strap has a button to prevent it from flapping

Cons - store I bought it from suggested/forced to large a size on me, then when I returned to exchange it they were out of business. (turns out theyd been running a credit scam and ripping people off) Venting sucks, if its humid or cold half the sheild fogs up, which gets quite scary at night, or anytime of the day for that matter.

I bought it cause it was cheap and at a store that was convenient for me to go to, and for the money it did save my life. I wouldn't buy another one but I would buy another HJC.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Helmet Choice

I ride with the Suomy Spec 1R. I love the design and fit. It is very light. One drawback is the noise. I will probably need to start wearing ear plugs as the helmet is very noisy. You can find some killer deals on EBAY on all types of helmets.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Here is a nice silver.

I've owned Shoei for years starting with the X-8.

The X-11 on the right I've had for three years now and really love it. The ventilation is the best out there. The air from the top vents pours in so much that if it's just a bit chilly my head gets too cold.
I used to say that this was the quietest helmet on the market till I tried the Shark RSR2.

The Shark RSR2 is now my favorite. I've had it for about a month now.This IS the quietest helmet out there. It is also the lightest.I hold the X-11 in one hand and the Shark in the other and there is a HUGE difference.The Shark took a while to get used to though. It felt very strange when I tried it on at the bike shop. In fact I took it off and decided to look at others but returned again and again to try the RSR2. I found that if you left it on for a while it got very comfortable.I bought it on Ebay for 350.00 US.

Try these guys for really good service and a look at the video.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=1260

These guys are cheap but I don't know about there service.

http://www.motoxoutlet.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=391810

Tim :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I went with a Suomy mostly for the lightweight. I gave up on modular helmets and now love the one suomy I have

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Hjc

A word on these although as shown in my first post in this thread my lid at the moment is Suomy which I am very happy with.

I have had a couple of HJC's, quality is ok and they are not too noisey (at least mine weren't) but they are not as good IMHO as some more expensive brands. I have had two serious crashes with them and they work!

Kit, no my Suomy did not come with the bug splatter this costs extra and soesn't come stad with the iridium visor either.......always more $:D

I concur the Suomy is noiser than some of the many other lids I have had over the years but it fits my head really well and is very light.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
247 Posts
One thing I would say about the Scorpion EXO-700 is that it works. I tested mine in April.'08 head-first against a guard rail @ 45-50 mph and it worked just fine, although I had a slight concussion, horribly sprained neck, two broken thoracic vertabrae and some broken ribs, but other than that, my head was fine. Even my glasses were intact. Now I feel confident that I can get a job as a crash test dummy, should the need arise.
jeffster

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I currently have a Shoei RF1000 and love it. I have to admit, though, that Shark RSR2 has really caught my eye lately.

How does it fit compared to the x11? I must have a more "round" head shape, as the RF seemed to fit just slightly better than the X11 at the shop, though it was close enough I think either would've worked fine.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I have the opposite problem to STchick, or the same one as Dave by the sounds of it.... My big, fat head would not fit ANY XXL lids apart from a Joe Rocket RKT 101 Carbon... all the others were too small / wrong shape so I could not get them on (and the shop has 100's of helmets of all sorts).... So I bought the Joe Rocket...

I love it, it is very comfortable (took a couple of weeks to settle)...
It is very light.
It looks good.
The ventilation system seems to work well.
Liner is removable
Has cutouts for speakers
You can hear 'outside' well - downside of that is wind noise, but not loud enough to require plugs IMO.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts