Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98 with 33k miles
Recent work includes valve job, chain, sproket, etc. Has new tires as well.
Never replaced 4th gear as far as the owner knows, he is the second owner.
$3200

My concern would be 4th gear.. as you all have warned me about that. What are the costs of replacing it up front? I'd hate to spend the money on this bike and then have to do some major work on it because I didn't replace 4th.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hey Whodkne, Is is a T509 or a 955?? I would probably not buy a T509 if you are unsure of the 4th gear issue, Pretty easy to find out by the VIN no. I would go for a later model 955, should be around the same price, the lower the miles the better and make sure it has a history. :cool:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'd steer clear of it for that price. THIS 2001 just sold on eBay for $2,600 (with 3800 miles on it). That buys the bike AND gets it shipped to you.

Keep your eyes open for a better, less questionable, deal.

My $0.02.

Capt.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the thoughts.. I'm not seeing ANYTHING locally anywhere near those prices. I'd love a 99/00 for around $3500 but nothing is available. I'm looking at cycletrader, craigslist, ebay, etc.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
whodkne,

These days, I don't think you really need to have it locally. You can get killer deals from accross the country and have it shipped to you. I bought my S3 from a guy on Long Island that I found on CycleTrader. Granted, I drove there to check it out and bring it home. But I got on the phone with the guy's dealer first and asked them about the bike. They went over the service history of the bike and knew the guy fairly well. I got the low-down before ever committing money to it, or travelling to see it.

I also bought a car off of eBay last year. I saved so much money that I would still have had a good deal even if I had to put $3,000 of service into it. It turns out it needed nothing and was just a great buy.

Point is, if you know you want an S3, there are ways to feel comfortable buying one that you can't inspect with your own eyes. As a whole, we S3 riders are not a patient bunch. But try to be patient and you'll find one, rather than rushing and buying something that you know is questionable in price and potential problems.

Capt.

·
Registered
344 Posts
On 2007-03-05 13:29, Captain_Rat wrote:
whodkne,

These days, I don't think you really need to have it locally. You can get killer deals from accross the country and have it shipped to you.

this is a good point, but don't let them know that you want to have it shipped from the get go...even if that is your intention...make sure they would let you come by and see it and that they would accept cash in person...there are a lot of scamers out there...make them think you are going to come by to look at it...feel them out on their response...if they mention anything that sounds fishy like 3rd party holdings or money orders only walk away
:hammer:

·
Super Moderator
22,196 Posts
On 2007-03-05 12:00, Captain_Rat wrote:
I'd steer clear of it for that price. THIS 2001 just sold on eBay for $2,600 (with 3800 miles on it).
You need to revisit your link Capt. - did not sell yet, reserve not met. (Still has 5 hrs to go - current bid at $3K)

If it's a 98 then chances are it does not have the 4th gear problem - easy to tell, just check the engine serial number .... Its only pre 57946 that had potential for failure.
(My bike had Feb '98 manufacture date on the VIN label - engine number is 64942)

Contrary to other opinion here, I think that's a good price for the bike, assuming it is in good shape. With lower miles that could easily be $4500.
If you want I have an excellent 885 motor with <8K miles if you wanted to freshen it up! :-D

[ This message was edited by: DEcosse on 2007-03-05 14:19 ]

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On 2007-03-05 14:00, DEcosse wrote:
You need to revisit your link Capt. - did not sell, reserve not met.

If it's a 98 then chances are it does not have the 4th gear problem - easy to tell, just check the engine serial number .... Its only pre 57946 that had potential for failure.
(My bike had Feb '98 manufacture date on the VIN label - engine number is 64942)

Contrary to other opinion here, I think that's a good price for the bike, assuming it is in good shape. With lower miles that could easily be $4500.
If you want I have an excellent 885 motor with <8K miles if you wanted to freshen it up! :-D
Thanks for the input on the serials.. I'll ask for that and see where it falls. If it is outside the range then I'm golden and would definitely consider it.

On another note, I'm picky. I'd never buy anything without seeing it first (ok, except for the racing miata I won accidently on ebay.. I forgot I bid!) so I'd never feel comfortable about buying a S3 without riding it and seeing it.

Not to mention adding shipping costs on to a bike makes it so I might as well just go buy something newer, local.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
On 2007-03-05 14:00, DEcosse wrote:
You need to revisit your link Capt. - did not sell yet, reserve not met. (Still has 5 hrs to go - current bid at $3K)
Sorry, my bad, DEcosse. I thought I had hit the "completed auctions" button on eBay.

Capt.

·
Super Moderator
22,196 Posts
On 2007-03-05 14:15, Captain_Rat wrote:
...Sorry, my bad, DEcosse. I thought I had hit the "completed auctions" button on eBay....
No worries Capt. - that would indeed have been a steal at that price! Be interesting to see what it does go for.
?

I agree with whodkne:
(love the handle by the way - Houdini, right? - Magician perhaps! :-D )
I don't think I'd buy a bike of E-Bay unless someone local could personally check it out for me.
I'm not sure that EBay is a good indicator of real pricing - also, I think bikes that end up there usually have a 'story' otherwise why not just sell in your local market. This is generalization of course but maybe not so far off.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, magician.. member of the Magic Castle. It was a plate I had on my Audi for a while. Finally someone gets it!

Ebay seems to be dealers (with newer bikes, basically advertising by listing on ebay), sellers (either reputable ones that post here and there kind of thing or scammers with crappy bikes that are salvaged and horrible).

No way to weed through those without going local.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stupid question.. does the engine contain the tranny?

So would this be replacing both?

I really don't think I'm interesting in doing much with the bike if I buy one.. certinly not replcing an engine.

But it's good to know the option is out there (if it does indeed have the tranny) if I do lose 4th.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts