Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a new owner of a sprint ST 955i Year 2000. I bought it and parked it in a container, running it for several mins every 3 days , then once a week then yesterday the gear lever clunked and engine stalled immediately. I tried again - same thing , adjusted the clutch on handlebar each way, same thing just cuts out with a big clunk. Was working in gear before that. Very odd ? 2nd thing is that I can't adjust the chain to slacken it with the gadget tool provided. I have a workshop manual and slackened the centre lock nut , but using the bar it won't turn clockwise. This is a single swing arm with fat wheel, the chain should have half inch to one inch play but it has been greased up and is in one eighth inch to zero tightness all round. I am thinking that a shorter chain was fitted and tightened to maximum ? ,or there is a siezed mechanism inside the adjuster ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Assuming the 955 is similar to the 1050....
The cutting out sounds like the side stand switch to me.
I'm thinking the hub is seized. It's a big surface area so if there's no grease in there it will sieze.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming the 955 is similar to the 1050....
The cutting out sounds like the side stand switch to me.
I'm thinking the hub is seized. It's a big surface area so if there's no grease in there it will sieze.
Thank you trudd !

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, I am a new owner of a sprint ST 955i Year 2000. I bought it and parked it in a container, running it for several mins every 3 days , then once a week then yesterday the gear lever clunked and engine stalled immediately. I tried again - same thing , adjusted the clutch on handlebar each way, same thing just cuts out with a big clunk. Was working in gear before that. Very odd ? 2nd thing is that I can't adjust the chain to slacken it with the gadget tool provided. I have a workshop manual and slackened the centre lock nut , but using the bar it won't turn clockwise. This is a single swing arm with fat wheel, the chain should have half inch to one inch play but it has been greased up and is in one eighth inch to zero tightness all round. I am thinking that a shorter chain was fitted and tightened to maximum ? ,or there is a siezed mechanism inside the adjuster ?
I would agree the sidestand switch is almost certainly the reason why your engine is cutting out. Its a common problem and is easily cured with a good clean and plenty of wd40.
The rear hub seizing is also a common problem and the ONLY solution is to strip it down and apply plenty of grease. I have done this so I know its a necessary ballache. Once you have cleaned it up and the adjuster is freee, adjust the chain every couple of months or so, whether it needs it or not, or it will seize again and you will have to strip it down all over again. Fortunately there is plenty of help and tips on the forum. Purchase of a workshop manual will help but I found this and it is awesome for service hints and tips.

Service Jobs

Happy cleaning!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would agree the sidestand switch is almost certainly the reason why your engine is cutting out. Its a common problem and is easily cured with a good clean and plenty of wd40.
The rear hub seizing is also a common problem and the ONLY solution is to strip it down and apply plenty of grease. I have done this so I know its a necessary ballache. Once you have cleaned it up and the adjuster is freee, adjust the chain every couple of months or so, whether it needs it or not, or it will seize again and you will have to strip it down all over again. Fortunately there is plenty of help and tips on the forum. Purchase of a workshop manual will help but I found this and it is awesome for service hints and tips.

Service Jobs

Happy cleaning!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
BTW as it's clunking loudly it may be a stuck clutch. To double check engine off put in 1st gear pull the clutch lever zip tie it and try to rotate the rear wheel. If the bike wasn't put in gear for a long time that's a normal thing to happen.
Un-sticking it may make you sweat a bit though :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have a workshop manual and slackened the centre lock nut , but using the bar it won't turn clockwise. This is a single swing arm with fat wheel, the chain should have half inch to one inch play but it has been greased up and is in one eighth inch to zero tightness all round. I am thinking that a shorter chain was fitted and tightened to maximum ? ,or there is a siezed mechanism inside the adjuster ?
You don't touch the centre lock nut at all. Just undo the 17mm clamp nut on the top of the swingarm behind the sprocket. You're also way off on your chain slack amounts "chain should have half inch to one inch play". Triumph SSSA run a lot of slack. Needs to be 40-45mm. And you say "one eighth inch to zero tightness all round". Definitely something wrong there.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
A word of caution - when you put the rear back together, do not overtorque the pinch bolt!

Although it's huge for its purpose, it's also threaded into aluminum. So too much twist will strip the threads - then you have a big PITA to deal with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You don't touch the centre lock nut at all. Just undo the 17mm clamp nut on the top of the swingarm behind the sprocket. You're also way off on your chain slack amounts "chain should have half inch to one inch play". Triumph SSSA run a lot of slack. Needs to be 40-45mm. And you say "one eighth inch to zero tightness all round". Definitely something wrong there.
Thank you so much Fred ,and the pic is a great help . yes prev owner was eigth inch play on chain . I didnt undo the spindle nut ,only the adjuster lock nut , which came free ,but the adjustor plate wouldn't budge to slacken . I will take it apart . thanks again for info and photo !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts