Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 SpeedMaster.jpg

On appearance (color & simplicity), the SM caught my eye & heart, reminding me of my first '71 Triumph Bonneville. On test riding this bike, the nimbleness of its handling was extremely attractive; yet, with I wasn't impressed with the braking (nor was I impressed with the Bobber's brakes initially). After getting it home last week and running local country roads in far north Texas, I was pinching myself at how smooth was the ride on taking bumps with ease. Similar to the Bobber, the foot pegs were/are a pain in the feet, and floorboards (a must for both SM & Bobber) are on order with the windshield and bags. Downsizing to this little monster, from a Harley UltraLow and Bobber, I trust that I'll be content with just one bike when the floorboards arrive.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My only real issue with the Speedmaster is storage. I don't want to put on saddle bags because they would destroy the look but I do need a small amount of storage. At least for the paperwork bottle of water and a hat, something like that. I have been looking at swing arm bags and tool rolls but have not really found anything that I really like. I may end up adding a sissy bar so that I can hang a small bag on it as needed. Who else has a storage idea for the Speedmaster?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My only real issue with the Speedmaster is storage. I don't want to put on saddle bags because they would destroy the look but I do need a small amount of storage. At least for the paperwork bottle of water and a hat, something like that. I have been looking at swing arm bags and tool rolls but have not really found anything that I really like. I may end up adding a sissy bar so that I can hang a small bag on it as needed. Who else has a storage idea for the Speedmaster?
This was precisely why I got rid of the Bobber (nice on aesthetics but not for function due to hot-cold weather). In my experience, the only compromise to this problem is a small seat bag to keep its clean look--yet even then, it's questionable when cold weather comes. I just googled motorcycle seat bags and Amazon came up with quite a few. The swing-arm bag on the Bobber would only fit a bottle of water, a fold-up hat, and a bungy cord. If you needed a jacket, then you better be wearing it or bungy cord it to the rear fender.

I'm getting the traditional black bags that I had on my T100 long ago. Not much room there, but at least I can haul things; however, if I need to take a long trip, then I'll need additional bags on top of the rear seat. It seems that the older I get, while I still admire clean, unencumbered lines, function trumps aesthetics.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Congrats on the bike. I like the blue. I haven’t been able to see a blue one up close yet, but it look great in pictures. Waiting to hear your thoughts on the floorboards.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on the bike. I like the blue. I haven’t been able to see a blue one up close yet, but it look great in pictures. Waiting to hear your thoughts on the floorboards.
If the experience with the Bobber is any indication, then the hardest part of floorboards is waiting for them to get in and having to drop off and leave it there for a day for them to put them on. The floorboards raise you feet just a tad (compared with the pegs), but enough for you to notice (but you get used to it and they work splendidly). The shifter with it's forward and backward controls is actually easier to shift with the rear one--weird, because I had the same setup on the Harley UltaLow and never used the rear shifter since it was pretty far back and having developed the habit of only using the forward shifter, shifting from the rear (to me) appeared all for show. But with the Bobber, the rear one was so close that it was too convenient not to use the rear shifter to shift up The cost of the floorboards for the Bobber was what delayed my decision, but after my feet hurt so bad on rides over 45 miles, I took the plunge. In my mind, it should have been an easy bolt a pair of floorboards to the frame and I questioned why they cost so much, but nooo....the engineers got to it and it turned out to be an elaborate, and very rugged design. After seeing these Triumph floorboards on the Bobber, I was downright impressed and understood why it was so expensive and that I did get what I paid for. I suspect the SM will be the same experience.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on this. Got the word a couple of days ago, that while the shield, bags, and floorboards are finally in, I've got to wait 3 more weeks (14 Aug) to have them installed. Guess that's the penalty of not doing it yourself. Glad I've acquired more patience as I've gotten older. Will send pictures (before and after when their mounted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts