Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard about an S3 in Canada that looks promising. Anyone know how hard or expensive it is to buy in Canada and bring it back to the US ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/importing_car.xml

Foreign-made vehicles imported into the U.S., whether new or used, either for personal use or for sale, are generally dutiable at the following rates:

Auto 2.5%
Trucks 25%
Motorcycles either free or 2.4%

I've only dealt with commercial imports of vehicles. A entry needs to be submitted to US Customs (usually handled by a customs broker...this will cost you money...figure $75 minimum probably more), invoice of sale, a DOT-7 form is required, EPA forms and the duty amount (2.4% of the dollar value). The entry summary (customs form 7501) usually is required by the state DMV to then register the vehicle.

Where are you located in upstate NY? If your interested i can provide you the phone number to your local Customs office. They should be able to tell you exactly what you will need to import a bike from Canada. I would also check with our lovely DMV to find out what they exactly need to register a bike imported for Canada.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Contact Triumph North America to ensure your warranty will be honored. I know that is often an issue going US-Canada, and part of the reason I didnt buy one down south...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bought local

Thanks for the info everyone. I found an 05 burnt yellow with lots of extras and only 1500 miles fairly local, picking up this Friday. Can't wait!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts