Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a bike next year (2007). I really like the Thruxton, but the prices in Canada for Triumph's in general seem pretty crazy. A Thruxton costs $12K CDN MSRP, and used ones are pretty rare. Thruxton's cost about the same as R6/CBR's. Which seems weird. A Ducati 620 costs $10,495.

On a whim I checked out some Thruxton's in the USA on CycleTrader.com and found something weird. Brand new Thruxton's are going for somewhere between $7K to $8K.

When you do the exchange from USD to CDN on $7K you get:
$7,707.84 CDN.

Add GST and PST (7% and 8%) and you get
$8864.016 CDN

Now from what I can tell, and I might be missing something, but there seems to be only a $209.00 Customs fee. (http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html)

Which brings it to:
$9073.016 CDN

If you go to http://www.ottawagoodtime.com/ and look up the Thruxton, it lists at $11,999 CDN

Am I missing something here?

:???:

Anybody have any real world experience with importing a motorcycle? Possibly one made outside of USA or Mexico, as there seems to be some issues with other countries.

Either way I'd love to hear from other people about their experiences.

Thanks!
Peter

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice.

Can you give me the cost break down, and a bit of a story? I might just follow your lead later!

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
> Am I missing something here?

I kind of think so!

You appear to be using the Bank of Canada cash rate as of this afternoon, which an ordinary person is not going to receive. According to the nominal exchange rate, you would need CDN$8029 to get US$7000, and even that may come with additional transaction fees, depending how you do the conversion. Then also take into account the additional amount you'll owe on GST and PST, which will be based on the Canadian dollar total.

Good luck trying to get the bike for the nominal $7000, too. You'll almost certainly end up paying setup or transportation charges. These charges will up the amount to be converted and the amount to be taxed.

Also take into account your own transportation costs in getting to the dealership to pick up the bike.

It'll probably still come out less than buying in Canada, unless there's something I'm overlooking too, but it looks like your numbers might be a tad optimistic.

[ This message was edited by: Diego on 2006-03-07 20:10 ]

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are right. I was using the cash rate by accident.

So add approx. $300, which put it at approx $9300.

Still comes out cheaper.

But obviously the price you paid for your Thruxton makes it questionable, but do you think your dealer was an exception?

If that was the on the road price, you really got a good reduction.

Mind you I wasn't really planning on buying new. One the reasons I looked at the States is the selection.

Still seems bikes are more expensive here.

·
Registered
669 Posts
pwbyrne

The Thruxton I bought was on special, it was the last '05 they had. I know they have a T100 left, or at least they had two weeks ago.

Everything is more expensive here, it's a small market.

Good luck, I hope you find the bike you're looking for.

·
Registered
494 Posts
i live in nova scotia , east coast of canada, and the pickings are slim - so i was looking to northeast states for a non triumph.
Thru some really good luck it got introduced Triumph-
end result - bought a canadian bike. My triumph dealer is now a good friend, gives free advise, answers my stupid emails, recommends good and advise against not so good. also keeps jobs and money in my community so that we still have a viable motorcycle community.
other notes - swapping out speedometer- remember usa bikes come in mph and this must be done for safety checks.

·
Registered
621 Posts
"... If you go to http://www.ottawagoodtime.com/ and look up the Thruxton, it lists at $11,999 CDN... "

I got my Bonnie at Ottawa Good Time Centre. When I asked what kind of deal they could do for me the salesman knocked 5% off without even haggling. I got the impression that this was probably standard procedure. Beyond that, you'll need to rely on your negotiating skills. The web site price is the MSRP, so take it with a grain of salt. Contact them directly and see what they'll do for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts