Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have moved back to the UK and brought my US spec Bonnie with me. I know it was rather stupid, but I spent too much time and effort making it the way I wanted it to sell. I have the customs clearance doc, my URN number and have applied via email with a NOVA application (MSVA 1). I have not heard anything. Does anyone have any advice? I am assuming it will need to go for a test (maybe?) and I should swap the stock exhaust back on? I am currently running a Cone Engineering Dominator exhaust.

Thanks Chris

BTW I am up in Aberdeen, Scotland ... I don't fancy a ride to the MOT Centre anytime soon by the look of the weather.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Change your head light bulb for a UK bulb. They, the Brits, drive on the left side which requires head light to biased to the right when dimmed. Easy fix.

·
Registered
792 Posts
You also have to move all your controls over to the other side. Then learn centigrade, meters and learn their language.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The headlight is a good point, and not so easy to fix. The low beam bias is achieved with the lens, so you may have to change out the insert.
And it's Celsius and Metres. 😁

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Long time since I registered an import and I believe things have now changed . Your bike will require an MOT certificate as a minimum , insurance ( this can be done with the frame no ) , and I then had to take the bike to the local registration office where a member of staff came out to inspect the bike ( he was in the same bike club ) . Alternatively send lots of pictures with frame and engine numbers clearly showing and a letter from a suitable authority stating categorically age of bike .

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rules have changed since I last did this. Previously it was a type approval and a MOT. I have sent the paperwork off to the HMRC, as per their instruction when it cleared customs. I never changed the light on my last bike. That would be a PITA. I even managed to get through with my Muzzy (loud) exhaust on my ZRX 1100. I doubt that would work now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I brought my Scrambler back from Virginia when I returned in 2008. I don’t recall it being all that difficult. I had to take it for a Single Vehicle Approval test (I think it is called an Individual Vehicle Approval now), which wasn’t particularly expensive and was something of a formality. I just sent that off to the DVLA (I think with my Va title) and a V5 came back in the mail. I think you should change the exhaust back to the original, but I didn’t do anything about the headlamp (I still have the bike now, and it still has the same headlamp, I think the dip beam just goes straight up and down).

I did of course have to get every single US imperial bolt and nut replaced with metric ones, the fuel tank converted from US to imperial gallons and the speedo re-calibrated to English miles, but other than that the bike is the same as the one I bought new in Maryland.

:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice looking bike, mine was bought in Virginia and moved to Maryland. Much later Houston, where the ridig sucked ... hence I did not turn down the offer of Aberdeen!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nice looking bike, mine was bought in Virginia and moved to Maryland. Much later Houston, where the ridig sucked ... hence I did not turn down the offer of Aberdeen!
Welcome home, you will have to buy some good waterproofs for Aberdeen:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,046 Posts
Change your head light bulb for a UK bulb. They, the Brits, drive on the left side which requires head light to biased to the right when dimmed. Easy fix.
Just to be clear, it's not the bulb you need to replace. It's the entire headlamp/reflector assembly. But a Hella specified for left-hand countries can be had for under $50 I believe, and is a nice upgrade anyways.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am assuming it will need to go for a test (maybe?) and I should swap the stock exhaust back on? I am currently running a Cone Engineering Dominator exhaust.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts