Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My garage mate (over 60) has a bad back. He loves to ride, but the stock shocks are getting to him to where has mentioned giving it up!! We dont want that!!!!! He needs a a shock that can be adjusted spongey soft for around town potholes etc & then stiffened up for Hwy work. Im not sure there is such a thing - but your all help would help keepin him ridin!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
shocks

Most high quality shocks will be more compliant over small bumps and firmer over large ones. I have Ohlins on a BMW RT, and they do just that. I am waiting for YSS shocks from Bella Corse, hoping to achieve the same thing on the Bonnie.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Don,I`m using some Progressive brand shocks on my bike,from the 412 series.They are shorter than stock and made for a Sportster,but I`m sure the Bonneville versions in stock length will be the same.I got the "light rider" springs that are rated at 75lbs/120lbs.They are without a doubt the softest,smoothest riding shocks,in the lowest preload position,that I have EVER ridden on.They smother all the small road bumps and "progress" to the stiffer end of the travel to take out the big bump jolt.For more aggressive riding,1 step up is all you need for solo riding.I weigh 180-190 ready to ride.Relatively inexpensive also,in the $200-250 range depending on where you get them.
Steve

·
Registered
77 Posts
The stock shocks seem to be a bit "oversprung" for lighter riders. Are there any lighter rate, progressive-wound aftermarket springs that will fit on the OEM damper bodies?

Kevin

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ohlins w/ the correct springs

I have horrible problems and spent $$$$ on a pair of 36 series Ohlins...They were great but still too stiff... Lighter springs and the factory rep lowered the "charge pressure" one bar and fiddled with the shim pack to ease off the hydraulic damping and it became way way better(more $$)... The stock "ironing board" seat still transmitted everything the shocks couldn't filter so I have an antique "sprung" solo seat to remove the rest( more $$)....Now it Rides like sitting on Pam Anderson's chest .....Get the springs right! that will help the most..... This soft does make taking the curves somewhat less secure ,,, but hell, I'm still riding!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shocks

Ok The answer seems to be the "sprung " solo seat. Now where does he go about getting one of those?? That wil do it I am sure. 2 up is no problem, & the seat can be changed f\or the occassion. He is painfully awaiting your replys??

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Don,its a big jump from soft shocks to a sprung seat.I spent hours cutting,grinding and welding brackets to hold the seat on.My wiring that normally resides under the seat had to be relocated here,there and everywhere for the spring perch to sit in that little depression.The sprung solo chopper seat like this one have springs,sure ,to soften the ride,but have minimal padding.I took the whole thing apart and replaced the foam with a chunk of Corbin foam,modified the pan and recovered it,just so I could go for a tank full of gas. Check out the J&P Cycles online catalog for Harleys for a ton of seating options.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
seat

I will check the HD seat thing. Someone posted that they had softer springs put on Ohlins & the pressure lightened? It all sounds $$! Tryin to keep him on the road. He loves the Bonne but if yo u cant ride it - it aint much good?
I like the twisties too much t ogive up handling- even w/ a bad back! He doesnt care bout that - just wnts to ride w/ comfort. W/ wife on the back- no problem. That kinda defeats the guys nite out (bike nite). Hopefully someone will come up w/ the magic bullet? Keep the ideas comming!! I am sure someone has come up w/ the ideal scenario? Some things to look into.

RIDE ON & RIDE SAFE!!

·
Registered
520 Posts
What???

Tell your mate to trade it in for a Honda Helix. Bumpy road is a bumpy road no mater what shocks you have the bumps are still there. Changing shocks for that reason is throwing money away. Now if you change for better handling I say money well spent.

Stealth

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Bumpy road is a bumpy road no mater what shocks you have the bumps are still there. Changing shocks for that reason is throwing money away.
Well, I swapped out the stock "shock transmitters" for some Ikon 7614's, and had a big improvement in comfort.
Seems like the stock units, being simple hydraulics , almost locks up on sharp hits, transmitting way too much energy into my frame - and spine

·
Registered
191 Posts
Works Performance makes a dual rate shock, that utilizes two springs, a soft one for light work, and a stiffer one for rougher roads. You can adjust how much each spring works by changing a spacer in the soft spring that limits the amount of travel on that spring before the stiffer spring starts to work.

I have them on my Scrambler (along with the dual rate fork springs - a complete transformation), and my wife has them on her Guzzi, and we both love them. The added bonus is that they make them specifically for your weight and riding style.

I crushed some vertebrae in my back a while ago, and the WP suspension made the Scrambler into a pretty comfortable ride with good control. With the stock suspension, it was just a matter of how many bumps I could hit before the pain arrived.

Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts