Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
please can anyone tell me if my 2014 Sprint GT has an Immobiliser System installed as "standard" by the factory. I am not referring to the Datatool S4 System which is fitted and operating fine. I am unable to supply my insurer with a Certificate of Installation applicable to the Datatool system so I have forfeited the premium discount which is allowed with the Datatool. My insurer is now telling me that my bike will have the "Triumph Standard Immobiliser" ?. I have contacted the Triumph Factory but in the light of the present lock down a reply may take some time.
Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As far as I'm aware the Sprint doesn't have an immobiliser unless the Datatool is fitted. My 2005 certainly hasn't got one.
When I removed the troublesome S4 from mine it didn't make any difference to my insurance premium. Maybe they didn't give me the discount in the first place :unsure:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to my insurer the discount for having the Datatool S4 fitted is £19.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to my insurer the discount for having the Datatool S4 fitted is £19.
Just had a reply from a very helpful "Freddy" at Triumph. My Sprint GT SE did not have any security built in at the factory. The Datatool S4 System was fitted as an accessory by the original supplying dealer. All current model Triumphs do have a factory fitted Immobiliser built inti the Ignition Switch and Ignition Key.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you ever have a problem with your bike not starting. i.e. you press the button but nothing happens. Then check the area for radio/phone masts. The signals can interfere with the Datatool. I had it happen twice, once at Sutton Hoo and then again at Oliver's Mount Cafe.

This was before the alarm went totally mad and disabled the starter circuit on the Isle of Man. I got pretty good at bump starting or shorting the circuit with a screwdriver. This was all fine until I stalled in rush hour traffic in Liverpool!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you ever have a problem with your bike not starting. i.e. you press the button but nothing happens. Then check the area for radio/phone masts. The signals can interfere with the Datatool. I had it happen twice, once at Sutton Hoo and then again at Oliver's Mount Cafe.

This was before the alarm went totally mad and disabled the starter circuit on the Isle of Man. I got pretty good at bump starting or shorting the circuit with a screwdriver. This was all fine until I stalled in rush hour traffic in Liverpool!!!
Fortunately, I have not had a problem with the Datatool but I do recall a good few years back being unable to start my Fireblade (can't remember which type of alarm fitted) whilst parked near to the Fylingdales Radar Station up on the Yorkshire Moors. Now that my Insurer is treating the bike as "no alarm/immobiliser fitted" I will probably remove it. Now that task should be interesting !!.
Incidently where is Sutton Hoo ?.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The bikes come out of the factory ready wired for the Datatool alarm but with a blanking plug in the socket rather than the alarm. Therefore, you should be able to just unplug the alarm. It should be located on the right side of the airbox and you'll need the blanking plug to replace it which you should've been given in your pack. However, I think a lot of these plugs just got thrown in dealers toolboxes or the bin.

I was told there are 2 different types and was sold part no T25003967 - Shorting Link. It was less than £5 so I took the risk. When I got to my alarm I found that somebody had cut the plug off and hard wired it so I was faced with a mass of black wires! It wasn't overly difficult to figure out with the wiring diagram and the shorting link just shorts the starter and ignition circuits - from what I remember.

Sutton hoo is close to Ipswich - Sutton Hoo

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that Trudd, I do have the plug gizmo. It was together with the spare keys etc when I bought the bike. Can't attempt to remove the alarm just yet as a couple of days before the Virus Clamp Down I brimmed the fuel tank so it looks like it will be a case of waiting until I can burn off at least half a tank.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As far as I know the alarm has an internal battery so it will sound when you disconnect it. I believe most people throw it in a bucket of water if you have no intention of ever fitting it again.

Like I say, mine went mad so it wasn't an issue for me.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks for that Trudd, I do have the plug gizmo. It was together with the spare keys etc when I bought the bike. Can't attempt to remove the alarm just yet as a couple of days before the Virus Clamp Down I brimmed the fuel tank so it looks like it will be a case of waiting until I can burn off at least half a tank.
A short piece of 1/4" or 3/8" tubing and a spare petrol can to siphon into is always handy to have in the garage. That way you don't have to burn off fuel on a ride. An almost empty tank is so much easier to remove.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts