Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
C'mon, Spank, TL;DR will never work. Internet folks are on-the-go and fast-moving. They have people to see and money to make. They don't have time to reach for the semi-colon.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
... people usually put a sentence after it that sounds in no way humble for example: IMHO you're all idiots who need shooting for the good of society.
IMHO, using acronyms on a forum like this is for MORONS!
(Half kidding... honestly!):eek:

On a more serious note: Does the heavy use of, or the total omission of Internet Slang acronyms date you? We older guys don't use 'em because we don't know (nor care) what they are, and the youngest guys use 'em because they were exposed to such things from a young age, and it has become a common generational communication means?

To me, it immediately visualises to me some teen-aged girls texting each other. :pC Just sayin'.

Bob

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
So true. Thank goodness someone invented emoticons. ;):D:eek:

{and moderators, so we don't have to double-read unnecessarily quoted posts as we scroll down the page... HiDesert}

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
C'mon, Spank, TL;DR will never work. Internet folks are on-the-go and fast-moving. They have people to see and money to make. They don't have time to reach for the semi-colon.
what can I say, it's right there by the L. Seems to work ok on other forums.

Adding a little bit of class to internet jargon.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
IMHO, using acronyms on a forum like this is for MORONS!
(Half kidding... honestly!):eek:
funny, i was gonna say moron but i thought idiot would be less offensive.

i never use IMHO mainly because everythings just my opinion and very little of it's humble.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I've always known the phrase to be "in my humble opinion", but I suppose no matter which is taken, no one knows if we are truly humble or honest. Best to be both and keep our opinions secret.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Language and speech methodology are interesting. Have you ever had the pitiful experience of someone giving a Business Presentation, using endless acronyms and localised business jargon, none of which makes any sense to the viewers/audience?

We recently had someone come in to give a presentation on Green/Sustainability Programs, and the young woman used every business/insider buzzword ever invented, and actually had to provide a Glossary/Legend to explain all the acronyms contained in the presentation and Brochures. As in about 50!

When she left, the entire conference room was in total silence for a minute or so, puzzling over the brochures and hand-outs, then everyone burst out laughing at once, admitting that not one of us understood a word she said, nor the context of the hand-outs.

Needless to say, she didn't get the contract, as the general feeling was we would be paying for nothing more than incomprehensible, and worthless bull.

"To be totally Honest......"
"As I stated prior...."
"You know what I'm sayin'..."
"It is a well known fact that...."
"There is no need to elaborate..."

and so on, usually come off as insulting or condescending to the recipient.... in my worthless, boring and irritating opinion (IMWBIO):eek:

Bob

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
I've worked with a guy (he's a great guy, IMHO) who has an interesting turn of phrase to which he's very attached. He drops the phrase "I'm just talking out loud here" into almost every conversation longer than two sentences. I'm waiting for the day when somebody breaks down and yells "we're all talking out loud! None of us are mind readers! When you start thinking out loud, let us know!!!" :D

I've always read the H as humble, but I think I'm going to drop it. I don't like eating humble pie. There are better pies out there.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
When you are talking to people that you reasonably expect will understand what you are on about it can be a time saver. The very fact that this woman knew she had to hand out clarification indicates she was more likely to alienate than win over her audience. People generally hate having to ask for an explanation of what the orator has deeemed generally acceptable or the norm.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
"you either forked er.................
:HappyRoll:laughhard

{Edited by HiDesert to include a quote, because Gob got in before I clicked "submit reply". But editing the necessary quote in wasn't that hard, really...}

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
you could argue that when one complains about the use of long or complicated words they are really bemoaning their lack of education, IMNSHO.

:p

Of course who really needs to know every phrase related to every field, I'm sure most of us here would completely confuddle the rest if we went into our work lingo mode.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Orator? What does that mean, mister fancy words?
Why! one whom is in the business of delivering orations ( not to be confused with carnations) in which instance they would be a florist or more particularly a person subject to renumeration in relation to the
transport and delivery to an end user of various floral products and or arrangements.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
carnations:

orations:

·
Banned
9,333 Posts
Why! one whom is in the business of delivering orations ( not to be confused with carnations) in which instance they would be a florist or more particularly a person subject to renumeration in relation to the transport and delivery to an end user of various floral products and or arrangements.
*full quote required.

Now this is the sort of quality linguistic services provided by the alumni at the D.I.O.H.S.
We also do singing lessons* by correspondence.

*requires you to sing into the envelope before posting.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey Dog , I've just mailed an A4 containing various renditions to demonstrate my upper register and a postpac carton containing lower register examples. I need help ( pretty obvious if you read my posts ). Would you be so kind as to invoice me when you send my first lesson or would you like my credit card details - most people prefer the latter for some reason.

·
Banned
9,333 Posts
Ishmael, C.C. details are not necessary, due to our acquiring a recent Government Work Avoidance Scheme grant, we are flush.
Will most probably return your adjusted voice samples by parrot, just follow his instructions.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts