Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy fellas and ladies,
I'm thinking of getting a Speed Triple in '09. I currently ride a twin '07 Bon, I've done the works to it, but I keep glancing and making eyes at the new Speeds. Very nice looking bike. Real street fighter grrrrrrrrr
I bought a bon cause I needed a good work runabout and it's great for that but exciting? Not really, look it goes and it's got loud pipes looks like a real ol'schooler now.

Obviously you all love your speeds, please tell me if they're ok for an everyday runabout and what are the bad sides (if there are any) of owning one. Problems that you guys may have encountered mechanically. Upgrades that you needed to do straight off the bat ie. new pipes, whatever.
Just doing my research now so any info will help, and I'll be greatly appreciative.
cheers
Sid

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Sidortiz
I had an 07 White S3 that I did a lovely 40000km on in 14 months - before writing her off on the Bonang in March08. Including 5000km in a week (well +3 days at the island) - Syd to MotoGP to Grampians to Kangaroo Island, Flinders Ranges, Broken Hill - Sydney.

The ONLY thing I found wrong with the S3 was the seat is not the most comfortable for long hauls. The Tiger has the seat ergo's spot on (but the screen is noisy). The S3 has good ergos for body position (just not the seat), great acceleration, reasonable range (270-320km), good lights (2 x H4 beams), is light (for a naked not a hypersports), a great linear motor and is a triple! I had a nigle with the suspension being a bit harsh, but that could be me as much as the bike (the Tiger suspension is plusher).

Of the 3 x 1050's Triumph make I'd have the S3 or the Tiger in a heartbeat. I think they are both much better packages than the Sprint. Even naked you can tour all day on the S3 at 120-140kph. The only time the wind makes itself annoying is if its a headwind and crusing at 160 and above for any length does get a little tiring, but 15-20min blats at that speed are fine - even as part of a long day ride.

I'd say go for it, be it S3 or Tiger (as you guessed the ergo's are marginally better on the Tiger).

One day I'll put a comparo up of the +ve and -ves of each model in a table ....

Russ

·
Registered
83 Posts
It will make a great runabout mate. The power and torque is just so useable. You wont regret buying one. Ruscook is spot on with his observations. Just try and get the gel seat thrown in when you buy if you intend on being in the sadle for longer than 3 hours at a time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an 06 S3 and dont regret a bit. One good thing is it doesnt have all the plastic so if (God forbid) it did fall over you arent paying $1000 for new plastic. My insurance was even cheaper due to this compared to my old bike. I do agree about the gel seat, but for shorter rides you dont notice it, and the torque! Bottom line, whatever you buy, you have to be comfortable. If your not, its just not that much fun and you wont ride it as much. Good luck.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I came from an 06 Thruxton that I loved dearly. The S3 does everything easier and quite a few things better. I do miss the riding position on the Thrux in corners, but that's nothing a new pair of bars or clip ons won't solve.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Get rid of the high exhaust. It makes a very noticeable difference in handling, since stock cans and the y-pipe are very heavy. Speed Tripple is a very tippy bike as it is and getting rid of some of that high up weight helps a bit with this.

Have your suspension adjusted by a competent shop for your weight and riding style. It will cost you maybe $40, but it goes a loooong way in making the bike handle a lot better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts