Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
"TRIPLE" dog dare ya...

might want to soak it in WD40 for a few weeks...

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Buy it because you're a Triumph fanatic and love classic bikes inside out. Don't buy it for style. Posing is posing, regardless of what you ride.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Don't buy it just because it's "A cute little bike that would be fun to ride around town." Unless you are a serious restorer and enjoy restoring things for the sake of doing the job this isn't for you.

These were interesting little bikes, but as I recall they had issues with either the rod bearings or one of the main bearings. I don't remember for sure which. This may explain the "Stuck in gear" issue. Very underpowered, but should get fantastic fuel milage. Beware: Amal monoblock!

If you do buy it, get in touch with me. I have a vintage Chiltons manual that covers this bike, as well as the 1960's Triumph Twins. It could be helpful.

Anyway, that's my opinion on the subject.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My first bike was a cub (T20S). spent mor time working on it than riding it. A LOT more time. But I'd still like to have one in my garage.......

·
Registered
452 Posts
Buy it, refurbish, and pose you a$$ off! Forget what everyone else says. Nothing wrong with pimpin your ride around town and drawing thumbs up for having a nice scoot.

·
Registered
919 Posts
A friend of mine had one 30 years ago. It was dog slow then and broke all the time. It is going to cost as much to restore properly as a 500 or 650. Do it if you really want to but I would run away screaming.

·
Registered
700 Posts
On 2007-01-13 08:34, dr_gallup wrote:
A friend of mine had one 30 years ago. It was dog slow then and broke all the time. It is going to cost as much to restore properly as a 500 or 650. Do it if you really want to but I would run away screaming.
Isn't that the classic description of a vintage british product?

·
Super Moderator
22,196 Posts
I don't understand the negative comments, especially the "power" (or lack of) - what does anyone expect from a 200cc?

Got the power fix from Speedie - this is for fun.

This looks like a great restoration project that won't cost an arm & a leg & is minimalist enough to not have it take forever to complete. Parts are readily available too.

I started out with a Triumph Terrier as my very first bike - forerunner to the Cubbie & was actually only 150cc.

Do it!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
This looks like a great restoration project that won't cost an arm & a leg & is minimalist enough to not have it take forever to complete.
+1

It'd be a good way to spend some time getting your hands dirty without spending bigger bucks for a Bonneville or somesuch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts