Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've got tuneECU installed and working, no problems. But I do have a big question.

First a little back ground info. I've got a 2000 TT with K&N filter and a Micron pipe. It had tune 10090 in it and it was a pain to ride in town.

Awhile back I made a small donation to clutchNthrottle for a copy of his tune. Haven't installed in the bike for several reasons. First of which I never had the cash to get a dealer to install the 10105 tune that Craigs map was based on. Now I have the means to do it myself. Which leads to my multi part problem.

My older laptop (which has since died) had a serial port that I used to connect to the PCIII. No other computer in my house does. Just found a usb to serial adapter today, so part one down.

Part 2. Craigs map has been saved in an e-mail from him for some time. Opened it and downloaded into my brothers laptop. Good so far. Installed the PCIII program off the CD that came w/ the PCIII. Still good. All the maps show up in the PC3 map list including Craigs. Yeah me!

I can not for the life of me figure out how to get it to show up as a map.hex file.

When I hit the import PCIII table only maps 000, 001, and 002 show up, as djm files.

Sooo,
1. how do I get the map I need to show up as a hex OR djm file?
2. can I just load the clutchNthrottle tune into the PCIII w/ the new found cable/adaptor, then hook up tuneECU and get it to import that way?

Sorry for the short novel but though I'd cover everything.

Any help you great and wise ones can offer would be fantabulous!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hi,

What format are Craig's Files?
If it's an old PCIII format (. map), you must convert the file from (. map) to (. djm).
TuneECU can only import (. djm-Files).

Step 1: Start the PCIII software (latest version, PC III USB Control Center Software 3.2.1 )
Step 2: Menü-File-import .map-file
Step 3: Menü-File-save Map File as e.g. "test.djm"

Now you can import the .djm-file (e.g. test.djm) with TuneECU or use it for your PCIII USB.

BR, Tom

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom, you are the man!!!:D

Only took me a few minutes to get everything to show up where I need/want it.

Unfortunately got to go help the boy study for his math test so can't play now, but its all set up to go.
:(
Thanks again for the help and thanks for TuneECU and thanks for making available for the 600"s.:)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just FYI, I have heard from multiple reliable sources that the % tables in the PC maps are not true percentages, but when these maps are imported into TuneEce the fueling is changed by the given amount.

Basically this means that if the PC map calls for 15% fueling increase, it may not actually be 15% due to the constraints of both the hardware and software, but TuneEcu will make a 15% adjustment in the tables when this map is imported.

I have not verified this, just passing on what I have heard. Good luck!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Just FYI, I have heard from multiple reliable sources that the % tables in the PC maps are not true percentages, but when these maps are imported into TuneEce the fueling is changed by the given amount.

Basically this means that if the PC map calls for 15% fueling increase, it may not actually be 15% due to the constraints of both the hardware and software, but TuneEcu will make a 15% adjustment in the tables when this map is imported.

I have not verified this, just passing on what I have heard. Good luck!
It is actually worse than you describe. As the PC values become larger, they are further and further from a percentage. Yet both TuneEdit and TuneECU will import them as a percentage, adding more fuel than required.

The PC3/PCV maps do not align with the same rpm and load (TPS) cells in TuneECU or TuneEdit. They both interpolate the range, but this does not duplicate the PC map particularly well.

And finally, simply connecting a PC unit to the injectors alters the load in the electrical system to the injectors. This by itself alters the mapping - even with a zero map installed in the PC.

Now, this does not mean that a PC map cannot be imported, and used to map with TuneECU or TuneEdit. I do this regularly, in order to reduce time (due to the live mapping with the PC3/PCV) - especially when mapping fueling in individual cylinders.

I hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.