Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone and happy hollidays to all.

Some good news to report. First a bit of history... I had purchased a new 2004 Daytona 955i in the spring of 07--- and promptly (with 265 miles on the odo) proceeded to park it in the middle of the trunk of a tree. Body damage was the result to both rider and machine.

So the body work was history and too expensive to replace--- and I had no collision insurance. So we rebuilt the Daytona as a Speedtona!!! and it didn't come out so bad... I think I have posted pics of the bike back togehter....

I had changed the stock clip-ons to the LSL top tree and superbike bars--- and, initially, was just tickled to get the bike back on the road. But... I soon began to develop of whole list of _itches about the bike, it's handling, and it's altered ergonomics... and didn't ride it much at all....

complaints included 1) too soft front springs--- hit the brakes and I thought I was going to do a header; 2) the superbike bars was too much of "sit up and beg" positioning for me--- and it put too much weight on my posterior--- and when you hit the brakes you slid into the tank and the bars swept back to far so I could never even lay down on the tank very well to get out of the windstream at higher velocities--- 3) the gearing seemed to tall and at highway speeds the motor was loafing--- my engine seems to like being above 5K r's but not much below 5K.

Over the last six months or so I began acquiring some parts for my bike--- pazzo levers, Skyking larger master cylinder, wave rotors, new chain and sprockets, etc... and the best purchase was the goldwing fork springs as suggested by Pinballer.

took my speedtona to the Spare Parts Co in Philly--- good guys with euro iron--- especially goose's which I have two of--- and asked Roland to install all my goodies--- and I had a stash of several handlebars to choose from--- all the way from drag bars to clubman bars to the Tomaselli condor adj clubmans.

Two days ago I get a call from Roland that the bike is ready to pick up and that I should come down to try out some of the handlebars.

So--- what wound up being different is--- the front brakes (larger mc and dual lines), wave rotors, new pads, new sprockets and chain
(kept the stock size countershaft and went to a 45 tooth rear), new fork springs, levers, and we settled on the tomaselli condor adjustable bars.

Wow... what a diff. Forks don't do a death dive anymore, engine enjoys the smaller gearing (this is a big subjective diff in responsiveness), rider enjoys the ergos of the near clipon positioning of the Tomaselli's--- got the weight off of my butt--- now I don't slide forward when hitting the brakes--- corners better because of better positioning and lower cg of rider....

I was just all smiles on my short ride home from the shop. and wanted to thank many of the daytona forum contributors (especially Pinballer) for the many good tips....

but I think I'm back to loving my Speedtona. I'll try to get some updated photos of the beast. It actually looks way cool--- very business like with the low tomaselli's and the all black with red adjuster pazzos and the dual 5" round headlamps....

cool. who wants to go for a ride from Philly down south for a week's getaway??? I'm psyched, wanna ride.

Pissy weather today... cold, rain and calling for snow. bummmer.

cheers and happy hollidays to all,

MSL

·
Registered
404 Posts
I am doing the same project but want to move to the S3 bar set up. Interested in how you set up the one in the pics in the link. I am looking for a top triple clamp set up for an S3 as my current Daytona top clamp is obviously not drilled for bar risers and a hanclebar. I could drill it out but that may end up being a challenge.

Nice bike. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am doing the same project but want to move to the S3 bar set up. Interested in how you set up the one in the pics in the link. I am looking for a top triple clamp set up for an S3 as my current Daytona top clamp is obviously not drilled for bar risers and a hanclebar. I could drill it out but that may end up being a challenge.

Nice bike. Good luck with your project.

I used the LSL top tree and superbike bars initially on our rebuild. I am still using the LSL top tree and bar risers with the newly installed Tomaselli's.

You can google LSL--- they do have an American distributor but I forgot who it is :eek:

happy hollidays everyone,

MSL

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Awesome, I'm gonna look into those Goldwing springs. Do you have a list of supplies I need?

they are made by Racetech. The part number off of the box is

FRSP S4031 095

these are .95kg/mm and the stock spring rate for my 04 daytona was .8 kg/mm as I recall. Ractech has a nifty little online calculator that you can use to zero in which spring rate might be best for your weight and riding style.

In fitting these springs--- you have to cut your spacer in half lengthwise.

best of and happy hollidays,

MSL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts