Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has a 2000 triumph RS and i was wondering if the 2000 sprint St body fairings would fit on a 2000 triumph RS.
My dad lets me use the bike because he also has a ducati 999.

If anyone can help I thank you very much.
-Jordi

·
Registered
343 Posts
I haven't personally tried it but looking at my RS and pictures of ST's I'd say the ST side panels will not match the RS upper and belly pan. So if you want to turn your RS into an ST you'd need to have a complete fairing set with brackets. I've heard the steering head geometry is a little different too so I'm not sure if that would affect the fitment of the ST upper fairing.
You don't like the look of the RS?:eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I like it, I just also like the look of the St alot as well.
Its hard to choose.
Also if anyone has relocated the exhaust under the seat or if they are smaller aftermarket exhausts.
thats what it looks like ill get better pics.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Welcome to the forum, 2000sprintRS.

I'm thinking the answer to your question is going to be yes, the ST panels can be made to fit an RS. However, I'm not sure you would want to do it after figuring out the cost. As in all things motorsports related, it becomes a matter of how much money you want to spend. You can look at bikebandit to see all of the various bits and pieces you would need to complete the transformation. They = $$$$!
http://www.bikebandit.com/triumph-motorcycle-parts-2000/oem-parts
Of course, it becomes a different matter if you have a donor bike, or a source for all of the pieces second hand.

Speaking for myself, I think the RS is one of Triumph's best looking bikes as it is.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
I was thinking the same OnD. I reckon it would fit with little fuss as the frames are the same but the mounting framework is very different.

My thoughts centred around the bars and their narrowness compared to the ST which is quite a bit wider and a little higher. You may need to change them as well.

The mirrors are different as well.

As for the underseat exhaust there is a Wolf one and I think that I have seen a 2Bros but I would imagine that they would be relatively expensive to fabricate.

oh and welcome to the forum 2000sprintRS :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone have the dimesions of a 06 exhaust for a sprint St.
I want to see if it would fit under the seat of the RS.
i have the one brake light in back which has signals included in it.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
You'd have to carve the underseat storage and (I think) the airbox as well as change the rear light position (as the 05 onwards are much higher in the back) to get a Trident or the like under there IMO.

I don't have the dimensions, sorry.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I recently compared my 2000 RS to a friends 2001 ST, i can say without hesitation that the bodywork will not fit without a complete set of ST mounting tabs. The mirror mounting frames are also wider on the ST.

The RS and ST share none of the same tabs, the ST bodywork is MUCH wider than the RS fairings.

As for the exhaust, the RS has a double sided swingarm and the ST underseats will not fit without a custom made midpipe. Looks like a custom pipe will snake out a bit too obtrusively around the swingarm. The ST singe side swingarm makes room for the upswept pipe that the RS does not have.

If you are really possessed, you can retrofit an ST single sided swingarm, and then install the ST underseat exhaust.

so, seems that if you want an ST, it might be more cost effective to just buy one, since the Triumph resale values are so low....................

·
Registered
247 Posts
you will probably find you can buy a used 2000 ST cheaper than what it would take to convert the RS into a ST +/- a few hundred (and have 2 great triumphs) just a thought :motorbike2: :motorbike2:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Hey 2000,
I am a firm believer in that if you want to make it work you can. You just need the funds time and tools to accomplish it. I can never remember who but there is a fellow on here that put Daytona fairings on his sprint, which goes to show it can be done.

However, as I'm quickly learning used parts are very hard to come by cheaply. Right now I have 250 invested in both the side fairings and 1 lower fairing. In the 3 months since my wreck I have only seen 3 upper left side fairings on ebay and I check it every day. That part alone is $100 plus. Then you must account for the mounting brackets and making new holes in the frame to attach them. Headlight brackets are different, and I beleive so are the mirrors.

Can it be done? yes, is the time/money needed to accomplish this worth it? in my opinion no, but for you maybe.

My advice would be to learn to love the RS look, or convince pops to sell it and buy an ST to your liking. Better thing to do though would be for you to save about $3500-5000 and buy a nice first generation (1999-2004) ST and ride the wheels off it. (dont crash it like me, it hurts and is expensive)
Tom

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
The underseat exhaust from an 05+ just wouldnt work. They are huge heavy cans that take up a large amount of space and the RS just isnt set up for that or the heat that the muffler will produce.

Welcome to the forum! Trident makes some very cool gp style stubbies for the RS that may intrigue you.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the fray 2000sprintRS :)

The only decent underseat exhaust I am aware of for the 955 is thw Wolf racing exhaust.

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/24712-underseat-exhaust-for-2002-rs.html

This is one of many links

If you do an advanced search using the words underseat exhaust 955 you will get quite a lot of hits.

Peter Sorrell of Trident & Wolf Racing is a member here under the name of wolf. PM him and he can give you the details.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well last night I had my first accident on the bike.
Well not an accident but i fell off the bike and the bike slid on the leftside.

left top fairing,left side handle bar and front tire fender need to be changed.

I only had a few scratches which i was very lucky i let go of the bike or it would of smashed me.

I'm a new rider so its not common to have these falls.
But my dad isnt as pissed as i thought he was but i have to fix all the parts(probly why hes not as pissed).

I'm pretty pissed So i think im going to fix his bike then get my own so i dont feel so bad ****ing up his DD bike. He cant put to many miles on his ducati because maintence is relaly expensive.

-jordi

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good price - that's an awful lot of bike for a newbie though. (So is a Sprint but a Daytona another step up again)

Who quotes mileage as 10-15K???? :confused: That's just bizarre!
Is it 10 or 15? Neither is a concern, just a ludicrous statement that says it really might be anything and he's not intimate with the bike.
Ikno, ill call him when i get off of work see what the mileage really is.
And yes its alot of power for a newbie rider, but it i just dont want to get a 600 then thinks its not enough power later on you know what I mean?

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
... but it i just dont want to get a 600 then thinks its not enough power later on you know what I mean?
That will be plenty of power to last you for a while.
Get something older, something you won't care that you might drop and can probably recover your investment on when you are READY to move up to something more powerful.
Daytona is not a good bike to be learning on.

Have you taken an MSF course? If not, get signed up!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts