Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all...

i just purchased a pretty clean '96 triumph tiger with 10k miles...i flew to omaha, nebraska to pick it up and then rode it back 500+ miles to fort collins, co. it's a sweet bike and i'm already in love.

anyways...maybe this is more appropriate to the mods forum but i was looking for advice in two areas to begin with...one being tank bags and a good medium size fitting one for the early tiger tanks? does anyone have a reccomendation? and two, has anyone had this year model that the temp gauge didn't come up to running temp? the previous owner said that the gauge always read low, especially on cool days and that he sometime blocked the radiator with duct tape. the gauge is registering but it barely gets over the "c" for "cool."

thanks! and thanks for this forum. it looks like it might be a great resource.

darin

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Can't answer the first question ref. tank bags but my Sprint (1998) rarely gets warmer than 1/3 up the gauge...and that is during the summer. Yesterday, rode around 200 miles and it didn't get much above the lower line. My friend's Trophy is similar. Guess that is just the way the 885's are.

Derswede

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Darin,

Only owned my 2001 tiger for a week now but my temperature gauge is much the same, even spending half an hour in city centre traffic....but then it was only 6c in Glasgow.

Welcome to the forum, they seem a great bunch.:D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi full sail and welcome to the gang

Yes they do run cool on the temp guage. To keep a better track I fitted a digital temp guage, which has a sensor in a blank thread in the top of the gearbox, I get true engine temp and not water temp.

To see this mod and others click here http://silver-stripes.blogspot.com/

Good luck and safe riding:cool:

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Hi Darin,

Welcome along to the forum here, glad you like the new wheels! Quite infectious this Tiger ridin' business.....

We'll try and get your questions answered here ok.

Ref Tank Bags, i can only speak from experience, and fully recommend the Baglux Dzeta tank bag and the combined tank cover and harness. 6 years now and still looks like new!

Enjoy your time here.

Cheers
Jim - Bigstripey

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Welcome Darin,

If it's any consolation, my old 99 Speed Triple, 955 ran cool too. I think it's just the way the gauge works.

Enjoy your time, and enjoy the steamer!

Mick
PS welcome back Jim.....:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts