Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an early 1992 trident which has the nissin twin pot callipers. The problem is a previous owner has used copper grease on the caliper slides and as a result the dust seals(or boots) on the slides have fallen to bits and gone. i keep them as greased as i can, but the dirt gets in and i have to sort them out far to often. My main dealer says the only way to get new seals for the caliper is to but a new caliper. These cost £250 each and i need three. A breakers can do me three calpiers at £80 each, but i would like to know if anyone can suggest anywhere where i might be able to get these annoying seals. They cant be more than pence each, and someone must sell them.

Has anyone had the same problem?

I am also told that the same brakes was fitted to early Honda CBRs and that handa will sell you anything you want.

Please help if you can cos its really starting to bug me and its annoying that i cant buy these annoying seals

Thanks in advance

Daz

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Copper grease is the right stuff to use it should not have broken down the seals...? sounds like someone has removed them ?

Anyroad for the replacement caliper route your dealer is taking the P...you could upgrade the whole lot for that and still have change !

Try 01985 850821 for Sprint Manufacturing
or
Try 01443 691666 for Triumph Ant breakers

Do not take your dealers advice :hammer:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I could find the bloody caliper I replaced in January, I could finally answer the question of whether or not Honda CBR600 F2/F3 piston seals fit our Nissin twin-pots. Unfortunately, I seem to have put the caliper and the replacement seals in a "safe place" & can't find 'em. Grrrr...

Anyway... Like I said over in mods & shop, I think your best bet is Kawasaki Bayou 400 front caliper parts. The casting of the calipers on the CBR600 twin-pots is significantly different from ours, though the dust boots might be the same. Honda part number for the big boot is 45132-166-016 & the little one is 45133-MA3-006.

Please do report back here with your findings!

Cheers,
-Kit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im not gonna name names when it comes to dealers, i dont wanna get abnned from the place, but they showed me the parts catalouge in the shop and the parts i need we identified, but only available with a complete caliper (less obviously piston seals and piston dust seals. and other bits, ie just the caliper casting, and caliper carrier)

Just to clarify, the bits im after are the small dust seals/boots (they look like little cv boots) that fit between the caliper and the carrier and keep the grease on the slides. One goes through the caliper and the other is just like a tiny cv boot. i have described them to other people as little concerteena (cant spell sorrie) seal. A local triumph specalists breaker wants £80 a caliper.

Also on the copper grease thing, im told that copper grease attack and expands rubber. the seals were there when i got the bike, but had popped and were huge and would not fit back where they came. they were also very delicate and ripped very easily when i tried to refit them.

I was told to use rubber grease when i re assembled the brakes with the new seals (if i could get them!!!!)

Thanks for the recomendation of people to try, i shall give them a ring, as i cant be the only one who has needed to replace these annoying things

If anyone has any more ideas please let me know

Daz

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Has anyone had the same problem?

Not with that specific part but with several others. As the parts man at my local dealer told me yesterday, "You have a unique bike and unfortunately this is part of the price you pay." That was after I had chewed on them for ordering the wrong effin' part again.
You might try looking on BikeBandit.com to see if they show the seals as a separate part. Or on your side of the pond, maybe Triumphant or Sprint Manufacturing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The parts in question are not listed separately in the Triumph fiche. I really think the best bet is to use the boots from a Kawasaki Bayou 400 ATV front caliper. My apartment currently contains about half a Trident & most of a Ninja 250, but the weather seems to have started to turn warm so I'll be able to actually put some parts on the bikes soon. Hopefully, my extra Triumph rear caliper & the Bayou front will turn up when it's cleared out a bit...

Cheers,
-Kit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i got my brakes sorted.
I got a full set of genuine triumph micro fiche's from a chap on ebay. Low and behold listed were the parts i needed. Although not shown in the exploded parts list, they are listed. i went to my local dealer, part numbers in hand and now have the parts to fit.
My dealer is not happy, as before i gave them the part numbers, i again asked for the parts and was shown a fiche with them not listed on it. Which is correct. If i look at the fiche for front calipers they are listed, however if i look at the fiche for rear caliper they are not. it was therear caliper fiche my dealer showed me and thus his justification for having to buy a whole caliper assembley. When i gave him the part number he was not happy, and when i showed him the photocopy of the fiche he was less happy, exclaiming that it was triumph property and not available for general public and where did i get it etc etc etc. Needles to say from now on i will be ordering parts by number. now i dont kow if im allowed to advertise on here but i think it is well worth while. The address where i got the fiches is:

http://www.fiche-man.com

It all comes on a cd, which has all the fiches on it in adobe acrobat reader and also it has a complete copy of the haines service manual. It also came to approx £11 GBP including postage. I think it is well worth it. with all the exploded diagrams, it is a god send.

Thanks to all the help you have all given me and good luck with everything triumphy

Daz

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Ha Ha....

If he knew his job he wouldn't have needed you to do it for him.....any parts person worth their salt would not have recommended a new caliper anyway ! the bloke is a rip off.

Sounds good value for the fiche tho :wink:

·
Registered
114 Posts
i have got one of them fishes too, ive only looked at it a few times for speed triple bits i will look again i didnt realise it had other stuff on. they are very usefull being able to quote part numbers helps when ordering bits on the phone. Id say they are worth the money for sure. :wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Huh. My fiche-man fiche is Trident-only, & it definitely does not list those parts for either front or rear. I just looked at the Bike Bandit fiche for the front, though, & it lists 2 extra rubber parts as "not illustrated." I wonder if those are the parts.

Daz, do you still have the part numbers?

Cheers,
-Kit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, here are the parts (listed as not shown pictorally)

T2020606 - bush, rubber
T2020607 - boot, rubber

as an update to my trumpet, i have just aquired agaping hole in the rear silencer at the bottom just before the end. Not good, so i am in the process of trying to find a replacemt system.***** dont these bikes just absorb money

should anyone else require part numbers, if you give me as much detail as possible i will see what i can do.

Daz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Daz. Those are the parts listed as not shown on BikeBandits fiche for Sprint carbs front calipers.

Cheers,
-Kit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to say thanks Daz for the tip on the Fiches am in the process of renovating my 95 speed triple and Triumph dealers are not the most helpfull in locating bits for T3's quoting a part No at them helps enormously

thanks

[ This message was edited by: Alf on 2007-05-28 09:02 ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts