Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the Philippines a little bit ago. Cebu was a trip and the Sinulog festival was crazy!

Pics and stories to follow tomorrow but for now, I'm going to bed!

Sorry guys...

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Welcome back 5hundo. Glad you survived !
Yeah, it was pretty crazy but I lived, despite the numerous Jeepnie drivers that tried to "off" me...

Here's your average family of 3 rollin' down the road, in the rain, with no helmets and their kid sandwiched in the middle...

This is "Magellan's Cross". This is, apparently, the very one that he gave to the natives upon his arrival... (right before King Lapu Lapu killed him)

This is the crowd that had gathered for the Friday mass during Sinulog. It was truly amazing. In addition to the courtyard and bleachers being full, the church was also full, inside...

A local boy standing outside fort San Pedro...

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Here, a Cebu local takes a snooze on the back of his bike...

Employees from the SM Mall put on a Sinulog dance during the run-up to the annual Sinulog festival.

Different group of SM employees...

A local schoolgirl awaits her ride home.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Great pics 5hundo, brings back memories, only been to Cebu once but many times to Manila.

--------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great pics 5hundo, brings back memories, only been to Cebu once but many times to Manila.

--------------
Ride on ! :)
I've been back for a few days now and honestly, I really still don't know what to think. There were times where it was so beautiful that it was spiritually moving and at other times, the poverty was so depressing that it could make a grown man cry.

I saw a naked child, covered in dirt playing in the streets. I saw a man with nothing but a few rags covering his body sifting through a trash can. I had kids begging me for money, which I often gave them...

...but, I also met some of the nicest, most sincere and hospitable people I've ever met. I saw customer service that I would never expect to see in the U.S. I saw artistic expression with every passing Jeepnie and I saw courage in every man, woman and (in some cases) child that rode a motor-scooter to work, just to try to get through traffic a little sooner.

So, my emotions are a little mixed about whether I "liked" it there. It did put some things into perspective, though...

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
You get those contrasts in quite a few Asian countries. I think in the Philippines the people are generally hard working, those with jobs, but the overall corruption at every level brings the country down.

There's no reason why the Philippines should not be at the same economic level of Malaysia or even Singapore but lacks the administration organisation and discipline. There you see grinding poverty side by side with affluence.

---------------
Ride on !

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Great photos fivehundo. I love travelling through Asia and have spent many years easing my way through from one country to another. China, Nepal, India, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia to name a few.

One thing that I do see is that even with the poverty, the overall happiness and contentment of the family unit is special, proving that money doesn't necessarily make you happy.

Vietnam and Cambodia are next on the list. I just have to get the kids travel ready. :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Glad you had a good trip, Asia is always a great place to visit. We are in Vietnam for 5 weeks visiting family for New Year. I am having "America" withdrawal symptoms already. My wife has to settle for her brother giving her lifts around town. Not like the America, but oh well. It takes whole new set of riding skills for me to ride over here, like having your head on a swivel.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
the sun newspaper states that 2.1 MILLION people viewed the parade on sunday along 5.5 KM route thru the city. here in new orleans we may have that may viewers,but mardi gras is over a period of 2-3 weeks. must be quite a show, and one i plan to make in the near future.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
the sun newspaper states that 2.1 MILLION people viewed the parade on sunday along 5.5 KM route thru the city. here in new orleans we may have that may viewers,but mardi gras is over a period of 2-3 weeks. must be quite a show, and one i plan to make in the near future.

I was there only for Friday and it was still pretty crazy...

Sunday is supposed to be just ridiculous...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Showed the pics to my wife, a Lapu-Lapu native and she really liked them, especially since it's about -10 outside today. Last time I was there was 2000. Probably going to have to update the passport soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts