Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know those moments when something makes such a huge impression on you that you never forget it, and even many decades later you can picture it like it was yesterday? I was just thinking about the first bike i ever rode on. Well, i did ride a honda 50 step thru, but that doesn't count AFAI'm concerned. The first time i ever rode a proper motorcycle was on the back. A friend who's dad had just bought him a brand new Yamaha twin 100 2 stroke around 67-68 came riding up the street as i was walking. "Get on, i'll give you a ride". That short 2 or 3 block ride left an impression i'll never forget. The power was unbelievable ! (all 10 or so HP i suppose !) The smell of the 2 stroke exaust burning oil and the clouds of smoke it left are both fully engrained in my memory. I was awe struck by the feeling of power whipping me backwards as gears were shifted and throttle twisted. That bike lives in my memory as the most incredible machine i ever rode or rode on. The last time i saw a pic of one i was shocked to see it wasn't a huge 500 Lb monster because my memory sure thinks it was. :-D

The only other time i was awed like that was after i'd gotten my first bike, a honda 160 and while on a ride with my friend who was on his dad's honda 450 scrambler, he let me swap bikes with him. First thing i did was wind it thru the gears full on. I was floored by the accelleration. I never forgot that moment either. Later i went on to a few bikes that made that look like a scooter. But at the time it was nothing less than a stunning experience.

Anyway, just thought i'd ramble a bit about some memories that have lasted me almost 4 decades w/o fading. I sure do love motorcycles. :wink:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I guess I should consider myself lucky that the first bike I ever rode on was my T100. :-D
Also the first bike I ever crashed on. :razz:

well, unless of course you count the time I was t-boned by a mustang while riding my bicycle to work a year prior. The T100 faired much better than the bicycle did. RIP. :(

·
Registered
311 Posts
First proper MC for me was an old Honda 450 that had to be push started. Always had other priorities, stayed off bikes for 25+ years. My advice to the young is go ahead and get one and quit dreaming about it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My first ride on a "real" motorcycle as in the mid 60's when I was in high school. A friend of mine just bought a mint 500cc single carb Triumph whatever. He let me ride it for a while one Sunday afternoon. It was such a thrill. Since then I've been hooked on motorcycles and did all I could to own one.

Although I love my 05 T100 and 99 Sportster and would not want to trade either on a vintage model, there was something almost magical about those late 1960's street bikes.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
On 2006-04-21 15:24, dazco wrote:
Ya know those moments when something makes such a huge impression on you that you never forget it, and even many decades later you can picture it like it was yesterday? I was just thinking about the first bike i ever rode on. Well, i did ride a honda 50 step thru, but that doesn't count AFAI'm concerned. The first time i ever rode a proper motorcycle was on the back. A friend who's dad had just bought him a brand new Yamaha twin 100 2 stroke around 67-68 came riding up the street as i was walking. "Get on, i'll give you a ride". That short 2 or 3 block ride left an impression i'll never forget. The power was unbelievable ! (all 10 or so HP i suppose !) The smell of the 2 stroke exaust burning oil and the clouds of smoke it left are both fully engrained in my memory. I was awe struck by the feeling of power whipping me backwards as gears were shifted and throttle twisted. That bike lives in my memory as the most incredible machine i ever rode or rode on. The last time i saw a pic of one i was shocked to see it wasn't a huge 500 Lb monster because my memory sure thinks it was. :-D

The only other time i was awed like that was after i'd gotten my first bike, a honda 160 and while on a ride with my friend who was on his dad's honda 450 scrambler, he let me swap bikes with him. First thing i did was wind it thru the gears full on. I was floored by the accelleration. I never forgot that moment either. Later i went on to a few bikes that made that look like a scooter. But at the time it was nothing less than a stunning experience.

Anyway, just thought i'd ramble a bit about some memories that have lasted me almost 4 decades w/o fading. I sure do love motorcycles. :wink:
I sure do love motorcycles too !

·
Registered
893 Posts
OK, I've got one also. The very first motorcycle I ever rode on was a 1946 Salisbury Motor Scooter and we crashed. I was sitting on the back of this "project bike" that whoever he was was going to restore. This was in 1958. I'll never forget flying down the hill that ended with a sharp left turn onto a brick street. The rear brake (the only brake) cable broke and off we went. I was 12yrs old, terrified and thrilled. We picked ourselves up off the street and I ran home with a skinned elbow.

Today as I looked at my Bonnie in the garage, a scene from the past flashed and I remembered a neighbor opening his garage door and there sat a brand new shiny 650 BSA. It sat the same way. Think I'll go for a ride.

Dennis

[ This message was edited by: wonderdog on 2006-04-21 19:54 ]

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Daz-

Great post, as per usual.
I'm coming at this from a different angle, not better or worse, just different. My TBA, is my first bike. I lusted after a Bonnie at age 15; no way said the parents. Pretty much put bikes out of my mind for the next 38 years of school, jobs, kids, etc. Things changed, and last summer I paraded into the dealership and told the salesman, "I've waited a long time, help me buy a bike."
What a challange, thrill, expanding, scary, fun, experience it has been, and still is. I don't dwell on missing out all these years, but rather elate in each ride, each new piece of candy from Brent, each interaction here.

I'm an old dog, but love to learn new tricks.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey golfer......look at the bright side. Theres something to be said for getting your first bike when you're thuroughly matured. Having started riding at 16 i spent a good deal of time those first few years on the pavement wondering what happened and wiping that red stuff off my extremities. A bit of hospital time too. Not because i couldn't ride. But because i wasn't yet experienced and wise when it comes to physics. Something that you've long since learned via other experiences. Not to mention a mature persons far better understanding of the reality in what can happen when things don't go right. So you'll likely stay a lot safer than i did in those first few years. I did some nice aerial stunts tho......but of course they weren't planned. :-D

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
A Mustang was my first ride...wish I still had it. They can still be had; however, they cost more than a T-100 if you buy one in decent shape...maybe someday! Bought my '66 BSA Hornet in January '67...no headlight, taillight, mufflers, or speedometer...had to rig up lighting so I could ride on the street. Cops left me along during the day, but as soon as the sun went down I had better be home. They wouldn't put up with the loud pipes after dark!

Larry

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Daz-

No regrets at all, I try not to rue the past. I'm just grateful, happy, and actually proud of myself that I have done this thing. And yes, I can definitely see that "missing out" of the teststerone fueled, I'm immortal, phase is not a problem.
I putter and refine my skills, become more confident and adept at my own pace, not in competition with peers.

It's not a contest. Ton up is about 55mph for me at this point, a perfectly executed right hand turn brings a smile to my face. 25 miles on the parkway and river road makes my day.

I have plans for a long trip this summer, up to North Dakota, via smaller highways. And I WILL do it, or not.

It's about the journey, not the destination.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The first time I rode a motorcycle ( suzuki 50) I think the year would be about 1968 or 9 and my dad turned the throttle up a little and said hold it right here and let out the clutch slowly and just put around the empty lot a couple times to get used to it, I remember him saying it was just like riding a bike, well for some reason once I got going and it was time to turn so as not to run into the neighbors fence my brain told me that if I twisted the throttle forward I would go faster and if I twisted it back it would slow down......twisted logic for sure.

Needless to say that was my first crash and I will remember to the end of my days the motorcycle sticking halfway through the fence boards and the neighbor who never liked any of the kids anyways yelling at my dad and telling him he had to replace the whole fence not to mention the fight my parents got into over how dangerous motorcycles were. To my dads credit he did not call me an idiot but the way he looked over at me after the lecture from my mom pretty much said it all.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL!!! Good story ! Bike sitting 1/2 way thru the fence....neighbor yelling at the old man.......ahhhh, the good ol days. :-D Most of my incidents i'd rather forget about, as they weren't quite so mild.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
My first ride on the back of a real motorcycle was at the age of 12, in 1956, on the back of a Harley Hummer 125 two stroke. I caught h*ll from my Mom when I came home at 11pm, because every time the owner suggested it was getting late, I begged to ride just a little longer. First bike (don't know if this qualifies as a motorcycle) I rode was an old Whizzer belt driven bike. Rode a Vespa scooter. The real eye opener was when my buddy purchased a Mustang scooter, with wire wheels, a sprung rear end, and a four speed transmission. That was as close as a scooter got to being a true cycle back then. None of these belonged to me.

My first bike was a 1963 BSA Spitfire Scrambler. The year was 1966, and I was 23 at the time, and too young and dumb to know not to take off on a round trip from Charleston WV to Harlingen TX. That was an adventure I'll never forget.

Bob

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My first ride on the back of a real motorcycle was at the age of 12, in 1956, on the back of a Harley Hummer 125 two stroke.
Ohiorider, I'm glad to see I'm not the only old phart around who knows what a Harley Hummer is. A very sad, worn out, abused example of one was my first bike back in '58. My best memory of it is when I finally got rid of it!! :-D

Although I love my 05 T100 and 99 Sportster and would not want to trade either on a vintage model, there was something almost magical about those late 1960's street bikes.
Pa-guy, I know exactly what you are saying. I was fortunate to own a 65 Bonnie and 66 TR6. Find you one and add it to your stable. I recently found a 68 TR6 that I am having rebuilt. Needless to say, I will keep my T100!

·
Registered
116 Posts
First bike -

First the prelude, I was out with friends at a dance club in Seattle and this absolutely beautiful young lady came in wearing red PVC (stretchy plastic) pants and top and wearing a set of red devil horns and a black bobbed style haircut (one of the most deliciously beautiful styles of hair cuts known to man, by the way IMHO) and afterwards I learned that she had shown up on her 250 Honda Rebel.

We eventually ended up dating and living together in Seattle and she brought me to a used motorcycle shop called Bent Bike and I bought a 1978 Honda Hawk, 400 cc, street bike (not a crotch rocket type) at auction for $250 and together we rode those two bikes all over Seattle and the northwest.

Ahh... the younger years!

Mike

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
There must not be any youngsters that own the new Bonnies. My first ride was in the late 60's on a Bridgestone 125. It was one of those that had a rotary shift. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, then the next gear was 1st. again. I got on it & took off & I was pulled back so hard (125 CC?) I couldn't let go of the throttle. Finally got it stopped.
The came a long line of Hondas. They all came with a basket. The first was a 50CC. In a basket of course. Many 90's 160's 350's 450's, 500's. One Hodaka. A couple of Yamahas. One Suzuki. Lots of dirt riding. Hill climbing, train track riding etc. No V twins.
I just bought my first new bike. Old enough now to afford one. Didn't get a basket with it though. This is the first bike I bought that was ridable right away. Most were apart, broke, no titles. I have a Kawasaki KX 650 I can go get for nothing if I want it. The engine is apart. But am too busy riding.
But just last week I was driving in town. I was about 6 car lengths behind traffic & in 3rd. gear so I crabbed a hand full of throttle, roared ahead & then shifted. I was going about 40 mph faster than traffic. Of course the car in front of me was getting close fast & then they slammed on the brakes. I started down shifting, braking & locked up the rear wheel. Instinct had me trying to go around the car that was stopping by going to the outside. There was plenty of room for a motorcycle. But I got stopped in time. Too much instinct to get scared. It should have scared me but didn't. Scared the guy behind ne though. That is what the dirt riding did for me. But of course it was my fault 100%. Most of my close encounters are my fault.
I think a person should do a lot of dirt riding before hitting the streets.
Went off the curve in Arkansas at 70 MPH once. My fault again. Posted 25 MPH curve. But instinct had me standing on the pegs & pulling up on the bars. Jumped a ditch & wound up in the trees but I didn't go down. The worst part was I was behind everyone else & no one saw it. That was a picture moment.
That is one of the reasons I bought the T100. The pegs are under me. I won't do forward pegs or rear controls. Not normal to me. No control. The guys I ride with have forward controls & just have to ride out the bumps.
A guy I work with wanted to race my Honda CL350 Scrambler against his Ninja 1000. I said okay. I said we will race out in the field & dirt. He decided he didn't want to do that. Idiot.
Bob.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts