Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Ikon rear shocks at New Bonneville - 7614 vs. standard

21K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  BigChiefWoody 
#1 ·
So the 7614 Ikon shocks at New Bonneville are $100 more than the standard Ikon shocks (7610?), and for that extra $100 they have threaded preload adjustment and are made of aluminum. I don't give a damn about weight on my bike, and I am a little concerned about aluminum being less durable than steel, which is a point in favor of the cheaper ones; but what about the preload adjustment? Infinite preload adjustment is nice. Which should I go with? Opinions?

Discussion starter · #8 ·
BTW, Ikons (like the Konis, from which they are derived) tend to be a little stiff in the springrate department. You may wish to consider another brand if you are a lightweight (under 150 lbs) rider
I'm 210 lbs and in order to get static sag down to 35mm I've had to put the stockers on their maximum preload; they're severely underdamped at that setting, but even one click down and the rear end sort of wallows in comparison to my (perhaps a bit too stiff) front end.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
So it sounds like there's an unmarketed option referred to as the "7613", which is a 7614 made with a steel body instead of an aluminum one. It's a custom build, but at the same price as the 7614 (non-custom). So I'm thinking I might go that route. I'm having Brent check on it for me.

Amazing customer service over there at New Bonneville!

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Well, my custom steel-bodied version of the 7614s ("7613") are now on order. Brent says it'll be a couple weeks because Ikon has to plate the steel bodies, but I'm willing to wait. I'll be sure to report once I receive them...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.