Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the 7614 Ikon shocks at New Bonneville are $100 more than the standard Ikon shocks (7610?), and for that extra $100 they have threaded preload adjustment and are made of aluminum. I don't give a damn about weight on my bike, and I am a little concerned about aluminum being less durable than steel, which is a point in favor of the cheaper ones; but what about the preload adjustment? Infinite preload adjustment is nice. Which should I go with? Opinions?

·
30,527 Posts
The infinite adjustment is a great feature, but I do not like the quite fine thread they have on that aluminum body. That said, Ikon know their stuff, so it shouldn't be a problem.

You're up at 400 bucks for those aluminum Ikons. What else is out there? You might want to check around and see what else is available for 400 before pulling the trigger. Hagon, Progressive are worth looking into.

I would be inclined to go with the standard Ikons - at 300 dollars very good value for money it seems.

Or - save the extra 150 and spring 550 for Ohlins! :D

That's an expensive pill to swallow though! :eek:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Here's another question, are the 7610 Ikons that much of an upgrade over the stock suspension? I'm mulling over new rear shocks myself.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
I am going to buy some shocks for mine .There are so many out there and so many options.I think i am going with works billet trackers there kinda high priced but they sure look good.

·
30,527 Posts
I haven't tried the Ikons, but there are a lot of good reviews for them on this forum.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I use the 7614s and am very happy with them. In my case, I bought the longer length (Thruxton/Scrambler length) for my '03 T100 to increase ground clearance and quicken the steering. In the bargain, I get infinite spring preload adjustment, a big improvement over the stock units, and a very cool look. That said, the 7610s are very good for the price. Both models offer dampening adjustments which make your rear suspension more versatile and able to adapt to aging hydraulic fluid. I plan to change to Ikon 7610s on my Guzzi whenever the stock shocks wear out. BTW, Ikons (like the Konis, from which they are derived) tend to be a little stiff in the springrate department. You may wish to consider another brand if you are a lightweight (under 150 lbs) rider

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Here's another question, are the 7610 Ikons that much of an upgrade over the stock suspension? I'm mulling over new rear shocks myself.
Depends on how/where you ride. Stock suspension is adequate (that's maybe not spelt right but I'm too tired) but if the roads are bumpy or you travel two up a lot then the difference is quite remarkable.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, Ikons (like the Konis, from which they are derived) tend to be a little stiff in the springrate department. You may wish to consider another brand if you are a lightweight (under 150 lbs) rider
I'm 210 lbs and in order to get static sag down to 35mm I've had to put the stockers on their maximum preload; they're severely underdamped at that setting, but even one click down and the rear end sort of wallows in comparison to my (perhaps a bit too stiff) front end.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I recently fitted Ikon 7610's to my T100 before heading off on a 2,500Klm trip fully laden (90 Kilo rider, 90 Kilo pillion and 20 kilos of luggage) and I'm very glad I did as that trip would have been painful with the standard rear shocks but the Ikons handled it very well.

I have put another 1,000Klm's on the bike since getting back from the trip, mostly solo but occassionally with my under 60 kilo wife as pillion, and the shocks have noticeably improved the ride and handling of the bike under those conditions as well.

There may be better more expensive shocks out there but the Ikons are very good value in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I'm 210 lbs and in order to get static sag down to 35mm I've had to put the stockers on their maximum preload; they're severely underdamped at that setting, but even one click down and the rear end sort of wallows in comparison to my (perhaps a bit too stiff) front end.
You would make a nearly ideal candidate for a set of Ikons, whether 7610s or 7614s. I originally replaced my stock boingers with Hagon Classics, but found the standard springs to be a bit too soft. When I replaced the standard springs with a heavier item, I found the dampening to be a bit underwhelming. Thats when I bit the bullet and bought the Ikons...adjustability makes these suspenders a great value.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it sounds like there's an unmarketed option referred to as the "7613", which is a 7614 made with a steel body instead of an aluminum one. It's a custom build, but at the same price as the 7614 (non-custom). So I'm thinking I might go that route. I'm having Brent check on it for me.

Amazing customer service over there at New Bonneville!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, my custom steel-bodied version of the 7614s ("7613") are now on order. Brent says it'll be a couple weeks because Ikon has to plate the steel bodies, but I'm willing to wait. I'll be sure to report once I receive them...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, my custom steel-bodied version of the 7614s ("7613") are now on order. Brent says it'll be a couple weeks because Ikon has to plate the steel bodies, but I'm willing to wait. I'll be sure to report once I receive them...
A couple of weeks - is that all? I ordered plain old 7610's about 5 weeks ago and I still haven't received them...

·
Registered
980 Posts
A couple of weeks - is that all? I ordered plain old 7610's about 5 weeks ago and I still haven't received them...
5 weeks? If something is out of stock, he should say so when you're ordering.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts