Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I love nearly everything about my new Scrambler, except to stupid placement of the ignition switch. I either have to kill the bike with the kill switch, or place the bike in neutral so I can reach down and shut it off.

So, question is, has anyone relocated it to near the instruments? I would put it where the factory tach is, but I don't know then where to place the tach.

Any thoughts, suggestions, examples of fixes for this?

Jim :cool:

PS Yes, I know about the under tank kit, but that doesn't solve the issue.

PPS First post, but likely not my last!

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
I know that this doesn't address your question, but the holes are already drilled to put it here:

You just need to make them a bit bigger and buy a bit of hardware. Incredibly cheap solution.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that this doesn't address your question, but the holes are already drilled to put it here:

You just need to make them a bit bigger and buy a bit of hardware. Incredibly cheap solution.
Too bade that is on the wrong side still!

Thanks,

·
Registered
867 Posts
You could always PM D9

or move it altogether...
+1 on D9's solution.

I bought the lay flat instrument panel with the center key location from D9 and love it. Goes well with upside-down NH M bars and CRG bar-end mirrors. Of course no photos to show at the moment but I'll make a note to self.

I think D9 has photos of the lay flat panel somewhere on this site.

I'm with you on the key relocation - keys should be front & center IMHO.

P

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1 on D9's solution.

I bought the lay flat instrument panel with the center key location from D9 and love it. Goes well with upside-down NH M bars and CRG bar-end mirrors. Of course no photos to show at the moment but I'll make a note to self.

I think D9 has photos of the lay flat panel somewhere on this site.

I'm with you on the key relocation - keys should be front & center IMHO.

P

The Scrambler has a kind of unique set-up, not sure if that will work on it, but I will PM D9. Thanks!:D

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just fitted an ignition relocation plate to where the tacho normally goes on my Scrambler.

Kit was from Aussiebikers, ordered direct from Australia and it arrived in the UK very quickly - only took about a week.

About half way down this page.
http://www.aussiebiker.com.au/catalog.php?category=Miscellaneous

I had already relocated the tacho to the right of my speedometer because I didn't like the position of the tacho so low down. I actually found it difficult to glance at the speedo with it several inches under the speedo....

So I have a tacho AND an ignition switch in a far more friendly spot.

I have a few too many keys so I also put a bit of velcro ape on my Triumph key fob and then a bit on my touratech satnav mount so that I can quickly stick and hold the rest of my keys away from the tank.
If you don't have a lot of keys, you wouldn't need to bother...

Oh and I put some nice blue LED lights (and LED idiot lights) in for good measure...
They make a hell of a difference, particularly in sunlight.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
My Thruxton came with a relocation bracket on it, but like most it was on the Left Hand side. I remounted it on the Right Hand side, and while it worked much better it looked like poop. So I made a new bracket and installed it today. I looks decent, and works extremely well.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Seeing as this is a year and a half old, I certainly hope he figured out where to put it by now.

...But that being said, you can always completely hack up the wiring and put in an outboard motor ignition:D

Although for my next project I may have to look into that RFID thing DEcosse is always promoting...

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
OK, so I love nearly everything about my new Scrambler, except to stupid placement of the ignition switch. I either have to kill the bike with the kill switch, or place the bike in neutral so I can reach down and shut it off.
I also hated having to use my clutch hand for the switch, here's my solution - thruxton headlight brackets flipped around.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Or you could eliminate the key-switch altogether and install an RFID system.
Relay latch for ignition off the RFID reader to 'set' and you could even use something like the side-stand to 'drop' the latch.
I have circuit if you are interested.
RFID is inexpensive, then all you need are a few relays.
This sounds GREAT... But haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

My best guess is that you dispense with a key altogether and have some sort of switch instead?

If this is the case, how does that work with scum bags wanting to steal your machine?

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
... My best guess is that you dispense with a key altogether and have some sort of switch instead?

If this is the case, how does that work with scum bags wanting to steal your machine?
You do dispense with the key-switch (or can leave it in parallel if desired)
The RFID tag reader is operated by a unique radio frequency transmitted code that the owner presents as a 'tag' in proximity to it; the circuit is set up so that only a momentary presentation is required (not maintained) and that sets a relay 'latch' that connects the ignition.
You can have a publicly accessible switch available which will power up the RFID reader, but the actual ignition 'latch' will not set until the reader 'recognizes' a matched tag that has been presented to it.

Security is about the same as a key-switch - if you can access the connections, you can bypass them to 'hot-wire' it. So important to have them inaccessible.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
... So is it expensive and is it difficult to do?
Can be done for about $25 - reader itself is about $10
http://cgi.ebay.com/RFID-Reader-tra...828?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563e65d63c
plus a couple of relays and a couple of diodes from Radio Shack

Here's circuit and detail in this post

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/78207-key-relocation-kit-2.html#post1611202

See the note about optionally using the side-stand as the 'enable' switch
Means you don't need to add an additional switch for the system.

You could make it 'plug n play' by sourcing an ignition connector plug.
I think it is the Yazaki Connector Set 6P250-CNA (but please verify!)
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/250_Connectors/250_connectors.html

·
Vendor
2,431 Posts
A ready made commercial product is also available. See it here http://www.digitalguarddog.com/

I've had it on my Bonnie for 6 months and it's great. No more ugly ignition lock, no more keys flapping in the wind scratching paintwork, no more fumbling about for keys. Just get on your bike, tap your pocket (to energise RFID tag), flick the kill switch to on position and start your bike.

I positioned the main unit down by the airbox and the wiring is wrapped within the loom under the tank, this would be very hard to hot wire. The only downside is it's quite expensive, but it one of the best functional mods I've carried out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts