Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I say a picture on here awhile back. He move the ignition to one of the side panels. Seemed like a good idea.

Im wondering what does that entail? Semms like a simple process

Thanks

·
Registered
867 Posts
I moved mine to the center dash with the lay-flat instrument panel that D9Mini sells on this site. It was a super-easy job since the stock wires for the ignition can easily reach to the center panel.

I suppose that if you drilled a center hole for the keys and mounting holes you could put the ignition switch anywhere there is room. You'd just need to splice in enough electrical wire to reach.

P

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so its basiclly taking the tape off, finding the ignition, moving to where ever, then re-taping? Sounds like a win to me

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
OK. I remembered that Thrux-Ton-Up had done this mod. I searched and found his thread that I recalled about it. But sadly the pics were gone. :(
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/69688-more-pics-more-mods.html#post847307

So, I searched a little longer and found another thread where John made mention of relocating his ignition switch to the right side panel, and showed a pic (off the bike). He also stated "had to splice and lengthen several wires to get it back here." (see post #14) :cool:
http://www.triumphrat.net/club-cafe/51520-inch-by-inch-step-by-step.html

Not wanting to give up just yet, I searched the Original Members Albums and found a photo of the side cover and ignition switch in place (but not yet painted). :)
http://www.triumphrat.net/photogallery/v/member/album794/album422/album1381/adn.jpg.html

Now tell me what you think about it. While it certainly would be handy to have the switch there, the job may not be as cut and dry as you might think. I don't know. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I relocated my rectifier/regulator and the wiring was plenty long (I cut out about three feet). The ignition wiring should be the same, however, since the lights are controlled with the switch, those wires may be an issue.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Forchetto: Resurrecting an old post. I was planning to get this bracket. I wanted to find out where this bracket fits on the bike frame? From the picture it is not very obvious. Also, for a 2009 T100 will I have to do some drilling to remove the ignition housing from the headlight ears?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Forchetto should be asleep in Spain at the moment so..
I have this bracket, it bolts on where the frame is bolted together at the front downtubes. The bracket comes with longer replacement bolts/spacers , just remember to torque the bolts properly. The ignition switch is held onto the ear by a couple of allen headed bolts, just(!) pop the headlamp off on the ignition side, swing the ear to the left and you have access.
The Joker brackets come in either left or right side fitting,chrome or black.

In this pick the bracket is between the left signal and the tank, Triumph key ring hanging off the key, only pic I have at the moment as I don't seem to take many pics of the left side of my motorcycle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Simple (temporary) ignition relocation

Like many on this forum, I have ordered one of D9 flat instrument panels with integrated ignition switch.

While I am waiting for Seth's great bracket, I have taken the opportunity to relocate the ignition switch to the existing bracket.

Simple job that cost nothing. What it lacks in form, it well and truly makes up in function and will do the job until my new bracket arrives.

1. Undue left side of headlight bracket.
2. Twist fork cover/left hand ears to outward to gain access to ignition mount.
3. Remove mount and re-attach to your existing bracket (left side). You will require a slightly longer M6 bolt (25mm?) to do the job.
4. While you are there, swap your left and right headlight mount ears to accomodate a new bracket/clean up your lines etc.

See picture here:

GM

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Just a quick question from anti-theft perspective - what prevents the Joker ignition key-switch bracket from simply being unbolted to access the wires from the switch assembly?
Sheer laziness on the part of the thief. They'd have to have the right hex key and be able to undo the properly torqued bolts. But yeah, if you wanted to hot-wire a Bonnie, it ain't hard, unless you have a well concealed RFID setup (as you do). Even that won't take too long to defeat for someone who knows what they are doing. In a similar vein use an alarm and a disc lock. Won't prevent theft, but will add an additional degree of complexity to the job.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I prefer the relocation kit sold by aussie biker. The bracket mounts on the rear handlebar bolts and the ignition is front and center where it belongs.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Just an FYI; I just mounted Sato Racing's gauge cluster bracket with the ignition in the center of it. Easy install, didn't even have to open the headlight. Looks great and now I have a center mounted ignition. Came with a rubber plug for the old ignition hole. Very satisfied and highly recommend.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts