Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I relocated the ignition to the right side with a motone bracket but found the cable just a bit too short on my 2007 Bonnie. I got the harness right at the edge of the light hole but at full turn it was still too short. I pulled the ignition harness out of the headlight wrapped it in electrical tape and zip tied it to the regulator relocator bracket as in the pic below. Anyone do same? Any issues with it?

Auto part Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hope you've sealed around the cable now it's possible for water to rundown it, I have to say I like the bracket but wiring looks really vulnerable like that

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put tape over any of the pieces that didn't have sealing around then (mainly what was in the headlight bucket) rest of the cable was outside

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Looks like you're begging for someone to steal the bike.

Did you remove the gas tank? I'm guessing not. You can cut the sheathing on the harness and get some more slack. Come up from the bottom. Wrap the harness back up when you are done.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm I'll have to have another look. It looked like the harness would only allow slack from the harness side. Issue was the ignition side was too short to go into the headlight. Or did I meant attach it under the tank?

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Don't go back into the headlight.
I think I know what you mean and I agree. One or two of us feel that ideally the wiring loom to the switch ought to be pulled back out of the headlamp shell and relocated on a fixed part of the main frame so the wiring will no longer move and flex with the steering head. It involves some messing with the wiring loom though.

Still, I'm sure we're in a minority.

Discussion about that in this thread, see posts 17, 18, 23 to 27:

http://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-technical-talk/582474-ignition-relocation-2.html

·
Registered
2014 Bonneville T100
47 Posts
they are couple potential problem areas that I investigated in regards to relocation of switch.

1) the wires are just long enough if you relocated the switch. this will cause pull on the connectors. You will notice that when you turn the handle all the way left the wire are fully stretched,

2) the existing length of wire allows to mount the switch upside down which allows water to get in the switch and causing corrosion.

The best solution is to pull the switch connector out and separate the wire from main harness assembly. there is very good right up if you google it with exact words "need-help-with-british-customs-ignition-switch-relocate-bracket"

·
Registered
666 Posts
Not sure about bonnies but my scram certainly had the issue, the ignition cables if you are looking to strip back the loom to pull the connector back to under the tank you will need to extend the green cable that goes off up to the handle bar run switch

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had the same problem with a Motone bracket- wiring was just to short to fit as they say. I rang them and they said they hadn't heard of that problem before, perhaps the factory used a shorter length of loom !!! LOL. suggested I try and find a longer one !! Bigger LOL. Sent it back for a refund. After thinking about it for a while I bought a similer item some where else. I cut back the loom wrap to where the main loom wires change direction, re wrapped every thing and cable tied the connecting block under the tank near the coils. Job done.

·
Registered
2008 Bonneville EFI
472 Posts
I opted for fitting the ignition the correct way up on the right hand side , and stripping back the loom to separate the ignition connector block wires . the only thing you'll need to do , as a previous poster has pointed out is extend the green wire which is too short . It's really not that difficult when you see it all stripped in front of you , and you quickly come to the realization that you need to do some "Things" to restore it to it's former glory . The anticipation is a lot more daunting than the deed .
After I re-wrapped everything I ran the the ignition wires back towards the rear , then underneath behind what was the SAI pump then up along the right hand underside of the frame ,cable tying it into position , the connector block now sits up out the way , dry and warm , and makes for a much neater install .

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
I think I know what you mean and I agree. One or two of us feel that ideally the wiring loom to the switch ought to be pulled back out of the headlamp shell and relocated on a fixed part of the main frame so the wiring will no longer move and flex with the steering head. It involves some messing with the wiring loom though.

Still, I'm sure we're in a minority.

Discussion about that in this thread, see posts 17, 18, 23 to 27:

http://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-technical-talk/582474-ignition-relocation-2.html
Very happy to see this post......Thank You

I am swapping out the ears on my Scrambler and thus have to also relocate the switch, which I wanted to relocate anyway. However, in looking at it I too wondered why it needed to be in the headlight. I am going to join your minority group on this one. Thx again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts