Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'll let you know what a lot is after I have to refill my coolant tank the next time ;). So i ran it with the temp sensor unplugged and made no difference. From completely cold, the bike will start and die on point right after the first cooling cycle. Starting to lean towards that ignition sensor

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just a side note about coolant level: I have found that for my bike the coolant level stays slightly below the MIN mark when cold. If I fill the tank up to the MAX mark, over the course of a few long rides and some stop and go traffic, the system spits out coolant (via overflow pipe) until that sweet spot below the MIN mark is met. I have read of similar experiences on the forum, with varying coolant level "sweet spots" some above MIN some below.
I never noticed the coolant being spat up because it would happen while riding, and I only noticed a puddle once after a really long ride ending in stop and go traffic on a hot summer day.
I don't know if that applies to your exact situation, thought maybe it would help

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
^^^ yes, good point about the coolant in the expansion tank, I've noticed this as well.

I also discovered some 'mayo' (emulsified oil) on the filler cap & behind the clutch cover, but after I cleaned up & re-jiggged the engine breather (from an opened up airbox), all's fine and no more mayo.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts