Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just taking my top yoke off for polishing. How do I remove the ignition/steering lock-it appears to have a security bolt.

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes they are fitted using snap off bolts. For reasons of security:D
There are many ideas on how to remove these bolts, it's not too difficult.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Easy solution:

Use a dremel and cut a slot in them then use a flat tip to back them out. When you put it back together you can use the same dremel to file down the slot to restore the security feature if you wish.

·
Registered
84 Posts
drill

The other way is to drill the heads off the screws, remove the switch then use a pair of needle nosed mole grips to remove the bits of stud left behind.
This is not a course of action for the faint-hearted, or the mechanically challenged.
If the drill wanders off, it will munt the switch housing, being made of cast cheese.
You need to do it on a pillar drill having ACCURATELY centre-punched the screws first.
Ask me how I know!
When you put the switch back, don't use security bolts unless you is livin' on de front line, mon. Use ordinary screws.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
if you remove the tank and forks, turn the triples to the far right or left and it will lift off without taking the lock off the triple.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I thought that I might use an end mill to cut the head of the bolt off, but I thought I might as well check here first. I will certainly not replce them with the factory bolts. if anyone nicks my bike, i'm sure it won't make a bit of difference.

Hi Mick, I need to actually remove the lock for polishing........I already did the 'wiggle'

thanks all

Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts