Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am looking for some advice. The igniter on my ‘94 750 Trident has died.
Browsing around, units for the 900 seem readily available, but I can’t find any for the 750.
They are different part numbers, and I expect the differences lie in the advance curves, but does anyone know if they are sufficiently different for me to notice a difference in practical use? Long story short, can I fit the 900 igniter to my 750 without issue? Cheers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi good question and it looks like you can. No experience personally but its worth trying especially if you can loan a box to prove it one way or the other.
Ivan at National Triumph says they work and back in the days of the speed triple challenge races I heard they fitted 750 igniters to 900s for the 11,000 rev limit
From your point of view with a 900 igniter the rev limiter will cut in earlier at 9750 rpm.

My understanding is ignition timing is fixed by the disc on the crank so you are ok there.
There may be small differences with advance curves???? but worth a try and test.

Hopefully someone who has done it will pop up.
Keith

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent. I can live with the lower Rev limit, and I guess if they fitted the 750 units to 900’s then the timing advance curves can’t be that different, which was my main concern. Cheers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Excellent. I can live with the lower Rev limit, and I guess if they fitted the 750 units to 900’s then the timing advance curves can’t be that different, which was my main concern. Cheers.
Micky B
If you do give this a go can you add a post to let folks know how you got on.
Keith

1 - 4 of 4 Posts