Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
There was a rotor (pickup timer) produced in the past that advanced the timing 4 degrees. I believe that product is no longer in production, so your unit could be of interest to some of us. Our ignitor is larger than the one you have pictrued. There were more than one version of ignitor used in the Classic Triples.

I am sure a few others will chime in here.

·
Vendor
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, it is only the Gill igniter units like the one in the picture that I can electronically mod. The rev limiter can be raised and the ignition advance can be changed on all the maps.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I would definitely be interested if it could be done for my bike!

·
Registered
572 Posts
There was a rotor (pickup timer) produced in the past that advanced the timing 4 degrees. I believe that product is no longer in production, so your unit could be of interest to some of us. Our ignitor is larger than the one you have pictrued. There were more than one version of ignitor used in the Classic Triples.

I am sure a few others will chime in here.
The one you are referring to is made by Factory Pro and I just bought one for my Speed Triple last Spring. I am not sure if they are out of production or not but I know that they are hard to find but I found one. It is part number RTR-TRI-2104.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Is this the Factory Pro advancer that's been referred to ? (The item on the right in the picture looks like a the rotor on my Legend. I think they just send you one of them according to your triumph model.)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Triumph-900-Adv-T-bird-95-97-Factory-Advance-Unit_W0QQitemZ250310922099QQihZ015QQcategoryZ10486QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

Seems a bit pricey when you can easily get 2 or 3 degrees advance just by filing the ignitor pickup mounting holes a bit more oval & positioning accordingly.

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts

·
Vendor
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you'll find you would have to spend between £1500-£2000 on your first order with Gill, but as you say the GS4 will only rev to 6k.

The GP4 unit which is used on the twins and some triples revs up to 14.5k and is now out of production.

·
Premium Member
5,165 Posts
Seems a bit pricey when you can easily get 2 or 3 degrees advance just by filing the ignitor pickup mounting holes a bit more oval & positioning accordingly.
I think it's even easier than that, all you have to do is file the protrusion that triggers the spark. I have just been discussing this idea on another bike forum and it sounds real easy provided you don't go too far.

I'm about ready to attack the rotor on my Kwak with a file.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
"The GP4 unit which is used on the twins and some triples revs up to 14.5k and is now out of production."

Are you saying that our igniters will become extinct as a replacement item from Triumph?

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
"
Are you saying that our igniters will become extinct as a replacement item from Triumph?
LOL - most all the model-specific parts will eventually, most likely! Ours was a low production motorcycle, that will be of little interest to the reproduction market....

Generally, manufacturers only stock to support a vehicle for 10 years after last production. That gives us until 2013/2014.

·
Vendor
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"Are you saying that our igniters will become extinct as a replacement item from Triumph?
Triumph will have a decent stock of them, seeing as they were used on the twins for seven years and on some of the triples for four years, but obviously they will eventually become extinct, like all parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts