Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, am I right in thinking that there are no aftermarket ignition units for the 900 cruisers?

If not, then can any of the more induction-savvy comment on the TCIP4 from this company?

http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm

Will it work with our bikes? Is it an easy swap?

Also, if I buy one of these, I may need to send them a wiring diagram of the connector; does anyone know if the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual is correct? Could I just send a copy of that page?

I know a few of the triple owners use them and also quite a few Ducati Monster owners but I'm curious as to the application in a twin and whether it'll be easy enough to set up.

The reason for my post is that I'm having problems with my bike and I have reason to believe that it's the igniter. I don't wanna pay out for another Gill unit as I believe they're $pendy.

·
30,531 Posts
I don't know about those, but I understand that pieman can (and has) remapped ignition modules for the cruiser twins. You should contact him via PM and see what he says - his remaps are highly rated.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
The OP was talking about an aftermarket replacement unit, not remapping the OEM Gill...

And to my knowledge the OP is correct.

·
30,531 Posts
So he did. It's an alternative route though.

Although if all he wants is a replacement, then by the time he has found a used OEM one that works the problem is solved, right? :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'll cross the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual against the factory service manual tonight, but I imagine the Haynes manual is right. They probably just need the pin-out of the Gill unit to match everything up and make sure their unit features the necessary inputs and outputs.

That's an interesting idea, and it's dirt cheap compared to a Gill, especially where you are. If you go for it, definitely post up here. User-programmable ignition for about the cost of a remapped box... I like the possibilities.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Haynes and FSM show the same pins going to the same places, so I'm sure you could use the diagram from the Haynes manual. Try to get pics of the ignition circuit pages (16.60 and 16.61) from the FSM to send them though, because it's a lot less cluttered. I'd hook you up, but I'm without a digital camera at the moment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts