Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
1995 cb1000

This was my first new bike. I think I paid $4800 for it in 1995. Big, heavy and slow. All my friends with 600cc sport bikes used to pass me like I was standing still. It was really comfortable and I could ride for hours. It's a great all around bike. I sold it to pay for school.

One of these days I will come across another one. It was built like a tank so they should still be around.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just looking at that riding position makes me ache.
For me it fits like a glove. Nice relaxed position, leaned back, feet out and arms just right. I can ride like that all day long. Much better than hunching over a tank with my feet back if you ask me. Like they say, an ass for every seat.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
This was my first new bike. I think I paid $4800 for it in 1995. Big, heavy and slow. All my friends with 600cc sport bikes used to pass me like I was standing still. It was really comfortable and I could ride for hours. It's a great all around bike. I sold it to pay for school.

One of these days I will come across another one. It was built like a tank so they should still be around.
Well if you can't find one the CB1300 is a modern retro replica of it, with more oomph !

·
Registered
576 Posts
It's amazing how much they look alike. It's too bad that you can't get the CB1300 for $4800.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Diss a Honda? Hmm...the CL360 (If I recall the model correctly) gets my vote as worst street bike. Shook like a wet dog, always felt like it was a half second from a tank slapper. Had two (second one was given to me, the orig owner was scared to ride it) both absolute dogs on the street. Turned one into a "scrambler" style unit, it lasted a year before it went "TU"and died. Had a CB650...rode it for many miles, but had a fatal flaw in the charging circuit. Burned up rotors and stators at a prodigious rate! But that 360...yecch!!!

Derswede

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
It's amazing how much they look alike. It's too bad that you can't get the CB1300 for $4800.

True ! the CB1300 at the end of '95 cost me US$10,800 which was $2500 under the list price with a full years registration. We pay about 40% more for the same bike than you would pay in the US. Assuming the CB1300's were released in the US, which I don't think they were, they were a big UK, Europe and Australasia seller.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
All this Honda love is starting to make me ill and mainly because of where it's occurring- the Tri Rat Net. But I think I understand it now. Way, way over on the other side of the internet, there's a Honda forum where the guys are all huddled up between the weed-wackers, the Accords, Civics, Pilots, riding mowers, CB750s, mo-peds, snow blowers,

hedge trimmers, tillers, generators, pumps, daiquiri blenders, (I just threw that one in there), outboard motors, jet planes,

and a host of other Honda branded stuff, and they are extolling the virtues of Triumph motorcycles and how much they love 'em. And remember how they learned to ride on that old '62 Triumph Cub but went on to get a 750 four when they came out. And how cool the new Daytona and Speed Triple and Rocket III and Thunderbird, and Tigers, and all the other Triumph models are. I guess it's the reverse of what's going on here.

I kinda don't want my motorcycle made by the same company that made my washing machine or garbage disposal or garage door opener. Of course with global corporations it might eventually come down to that.

Sorry for the rant, let the Honda love continue to flow.

Buncha Honda lovers! Hah!

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Honda has made some great bikes. No doubt. But what's with all this DCT (dual clutch transmission) crap they are putting out now. And the DN-01? Really?

View attachment 38686
The DN01 is weirdsville Dude , but dual clutch transmission is a
genuine option. Thats what they have on Golf GTI,s and R32s and during there development they lapped Nurburing faster in the dual cluch autos faster than works drivers could do it with a manual. To me its the same as electronics or ABS , sticky tyres or liquid cooling .
No one says you have to buy it , but combine all these gizmos and you are on a safer faster machine. :) IMHO

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think you could throw Yamaha and Suzuki into the mix as they all seem to suffer from what Welshrob called Blandular Fever. I don't recall Triumph, BSA, and Norton ever catching that particular disease, though they were a little incontinent with their body fluids.

H

·
0 Posts
Blandular Fever = UJM, right?
I sold an absolutely beautiful RC51 because I had gone to a big bike show in Baltimore and when I left 4-5 other RC51s had parked next to mine. They all looked alike. Great bike but no soul. Blandular Fever is right.:D

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Hell yeah!
First thing would be a set of clip ons.
Not crazy about those wheels tho, remind me of the Comstars on the 750 F2 . I like it tho .

Personally Id have one in Gloss Black with Orange powder coated wheels , custom retro 4 into 1 , wrapped headers into a stubby matt black muffler and a Stone style bikini fairing Mmmm:)

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
I sold an absolutely beautiful RC51 because I had gone to a big bike show in Baltimore and when I left 4-5 other RC51s had parked next to mine. They all looked alike. Great bike but no soul. Blandular Fever is right.:D
Hap , you could get that with any brand , If the bike is stock its a bit unavoidable ?. I nearly bought an 06 FireBlade with the Repsol Paint job , but there were quite a few around. Thing is lots of those bikes got written off and there getting rarer. You should have hung on to it I think, but then you have more bloody bikes and cars than one Texan should anyways hahahahah :p

·
Registered
435 Posts
traded a 2007 VFR to get the bonneville.... I'd probably get another VFR. Loved my old honda magna.... wouldn't mind a a cb900f or the older cb1000f or whatever it was. the CB1300 looks cool - wish we could get them in the states!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
My first bike was a Honda C70 Cub, and I loved it. I passed my test on it, and it took me all over the UK, but I couldn't wait to chop it for something bigger. The only other Honda I have owned was the ST1300 Pan that I sold to get the Bonnie. That was an awesomely capable bike, and I really couldn't fault it. But while I owned the Honda, I did all my riding on my scabby old Yamaha trailbike, for reasons that others have given. The Honda was bland and efficient; the Yam is an old nail but has soul in spades and fun by the bucketload.

However, I will never dismiss Hondas for one reason: this summer, my ride-on mower packed in and I had to retrieve my old push-along mower from the back of the garage, where it had been lying unused for three to four years. I took it out, three pulls on the starter cord, and it was off. Cut all the grass perfectly. Engine? Honda.

Sometimes reliability and efficiency is no bad thing. On a mower I can live without 'soul'. On a bike, no.

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I'm not saying Yamaha doesn't make some bland bikes. But they also make some very exciting bikes. Ain't nuthin' bland about a V-Max

Or an R1

41 - 58 of 58 Posts