Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Which Triumph to Buy? (please elaborate why)

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm sure this has been done before, but indulge me, as on top of current world events, we got 6+ inches of snow in the the NE US last night, so I need a boost!

Assuming you didnt have your current rides, which current Triumph would you spend your hard earned money on (let's assume money wasn't the issue)?

Why would that be your choice?
TFC Bobber,

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Of course “for me”. I wouldn’t presume to speak for anyone else. I liked all of my Triumphs, old twins, new twins, and Rockets. The 1700 TBird was the best of the lot. The T120 is a nice bike but I got bored with it. I was looking for a lot more power, better brakes, better suspension, and similar weight. The T120 was jittery on the downhill, twisty, rutted 50-60 mph road I regularly take when leaving my house. I had considered spending thousands on hotter cams, fork cartridges, best shocks, better tires, front Brembo kit. I never thought BMWs were cool enough to own, but after riding it, I find that the R1250R is technically superior to anything I’ve owned. It is always planted, the integral, cornering ABS brakes are super, and it’s got more HP per lb than the Rocket 3. Also, it has a standard riding position, which I need. I’ve never ridden a performance sport bike and I suppose those who have can appreciate the appeal of these features. I test drove a new 2019 Tiger 800 XRt which was a nice ride at a good price but you have to rev it to 8000 rpm to get any power out of it. Unfortunately, I don’t fit on the Tiger 1200. The Yamaha dealer here seems to be mainly into ORV’s and ADV bikes but couldn’t say when a new 900 Tracer would come along, and they don’t give test rides. I’m a one bike at a time rider. We have a two car garage and my bike gets a slot at the expense of my car. With no constraints, I’d accompany the BMW with a new Rocket 3, just for the torque rush. There.
Fair enough...one my buddies has a T120 and quite often we switch bikes and I found the T120 comfortable bike for me. One of my other buddies has a 2006 Rocket 3 and found I could never get comfortable riding it on anything other than an interstate highway. Surprisingly I found my Thruxton R quicker than the Rocket 3 in the quarter mile and equal to it on roll ons up to 120 mph.

I think I might give the new Tiger 900 ago if I find the rpm on the TFT legible. One boxer engine is enough for me.

Good luck with the R1250R it sounds like a fine machine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is a close call between the Speed Twin and the Bonneville T120.

The Speed Twin really suits my personality and physical size. It suits me like the first generation Miata that I had 20 years ago; something about the handling and immediate, satisfying power delivery and let’s face it, the way it looks. Favorite pair of jeans, favorite tool, favorite food, whatever analogy you like insert it here.

But... I also own a 2018 Bonneville. It has the Brembo front brake upgrade, Ohlins rear, and a Meerkat crossover. it’s been converted to tubeless tires, sticky sport touring rubber fitted and Triumph integrated cruise control. With these handling and performance upgrades it’s one of the best all around bikes out there. It’s very, very satisfying to ride.

The clincher is that the Bonneville is brilliant two-up. The Speed Twin is pretty good too, and if you are just zipping over to your friends’ house it’s fine. The Bonneville tho is far superior for two people.

Thus if it’s my only bike (the poll asks what you’d have if, God forbid, you didn‘t have a motorcycle) the Bonneville T120 gets the nod.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I would like to have the newer 2019/2020 Street Twin. I do enjoy my 2017 T120 and it would be difficult to part with the motor, cruise control, and the planted feel of the bike on the Hwy. My test ride convinced me the model is much improved over the original model. The handling, reduced weight, and lower seat height appeal to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Funny, the last 2 responses sum up exactly how I feel about the 3 bikes I constantly have in my head. I too own a 17 T120...specifically because it was an all-arounder. I came from a 14 BMW r nine t and definitely miss the turn in/cornering ability. However, the few times my wife was with me for more than 30 minutes, she was uncomfortable.
I was immediately attracted to both the Street Twin and T120, but coming from the bigger boxer, the T120 gave me more of the oomph i was looking for. I do still wish it cornered a bit better...

I havent ridden the updated Street Twin and sometimes wonder if the power gap has been closed enough to the T120 that I'd be happier there.

I love the way the Speed Twin looks and keep going to look at and sit on them...but I'm a shorter rider and the ergos are just tall enough to put me off.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Fair enough...one my buddies has a T120 and quite often we switch bikes and I found the T120 comfortable bike for me. One of my other buddies has a 2006 Rocket 3 and found I could never get comfortable riding it on anything other than an interstate highway. Surprisingly I found my Thruxton R quicker than the Rocket 3 in the quarter mile and equal to it on roll ons up to 120 mph.

I think I might give the new Tiger 900 ago if I find the rpm on the TFT legible. One boxer engine is enough for me.

Good luck with the R1250R it sounds like a fine machine.
The Thrux R is fast, no doubt, being in a fairly high state of tune. Not surprising about the 2006 Rocket, which is at least 300 lbs heavier, much more drag, and probably way less than 150 hp rw. Even at 150 hp, achievable with exhaust and intake mods, the Thrux would out power it on a weight basis. You’d need those and cams to get the RIII over 170 hp. The Carpenter cam and piston kit gets you to 240 hp. My 2007 RIII Classic was quite comfortable, with a rider back rest, swept back bars, foot boards, a barn door shield, and lower deflectors.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Funny, the last 2 responses sum up exactly how I feel about the 3 bikes I constantly have in my head. I too own a 17 T120...specifically because it was an all-arounder. I came from a 14 BMW r nine t and definitely miss the turn in/cornering ability. However, the few times my wife was with me for more than 30 minutes, she was uncomfortable.
I was immediately attracted to both the Street Twin and T120, but coming from the bigger boxer, the T120 gave me more of the oomph i was looking for. I do still wish it cornered a bit better...

I havent ridden the updated Street Twin and sometimes wonder if the power gap has been closed enough to the T120 that I'd be happier there.

I love the way the Speed Twin looks and keep going to look at and sit on them...but I'm a shorter rider and the ergos are just tall enough to put me off.
I am getting resistance from my wife on a bike change. The T120 suspension is the best two-up set up of any Bonneville. Just ride over a set of rough railroad tracks. I think the Street Twin will be a down grade in the two-up department. Proof we need one of each!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The Thrux R is fast, no doubt, being in a fairly high state of tune. Not surprising about the 2006 Rocket, which is at least 300 lbs heavier, much more drag, and probably way less than 150 hp rw. Even at 150 hp, achievable with exhaust and intake mods, the Thrux would out power it on a weight basis. You’d need those and cams to get the RIII over 170 hp. The Carpenter cam and piston kit gets you to 240 hp. My 2007 RIII Classic was quite comfortable, with a rider back rest, swept back bars, foot boards, a barn door shield, and lower deflectors.
I saw a couple Carpenter built R3 motors out at Bonneville, if I remember right I thought Guy Martin said Carpenter built the motors on the streamliner back in 2016. I know Jason Disalvo went 176 mph on a Carpenter tuned Rocket 3 at Bonneville in 2013, which was remarkable because it was a stocker aerodynamically.

My buddies Rocket 3 wasn't stock either, he says it got 147 horsepower on dyno. The biggest problem I've seen from the older Rocket 3s is getting a good launch and getting 2nd gear cleanly. My lead by 60 foot is huge.

·
Super Moderator
1,766 Posts
I voted "Other Model" only because as much as I enjoy my Bonneville I have had an eye on ADV bikes lately. If I could only have one and was replacing the Bonneville it would be: Suzuki V-Strom [ used], Yamaha Tracer 900GT, Triumph Tiger 800 {used]. But I do not plan to ever get rid of the Bonneville [ which is a first in 45+ years of riding] and add to the bike collection.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My 2017 T120 is a lovely bike, but its getting too heavy for me now, so next time, unless triumph start making 500cc twins, I will most likely go for the Indian Royal Enfield twin (not sure which model yet) but will wait for awhile longer to see about Brexit and if I can stay in Spain as promised now. Also if any teething problems crop up.

The new (discontinued) Speedmaster is a good looking bike, except for the small headlamp and no centre stand. If it had been on the market earlier it would have been hard to decide which bike to buy T120, or Speedmaster?

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
I voted "Other Model" only because as much as I enjoy my Bonneville I have had an eye on ADV bikes lately. If I could only have one and was replacing the Bonneville it would be: Suzuki V-Strom [ used], Yamaha Tracer 900GT, Triumph Tiger 800 {used]. But I do not plan to ever get rid of the Bonneville [ which is a first in 45+ years of riding] and add to the bike collection.
There’s a new 2019 Tiger 800XRt for $12,995 at Eurocycle in Reno. I rode it. Nice bike.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
I saw a couple Carpenter built R3 motors out at Bonneville, if I remember right I thought Guy Martin said Carpenter built the motors on the streamliner back in 2016. I know Jason Disalvo went 176 mph on a Carpenter tuned Rocket 3 at Bonneville in 2013, which was remarkable because it was a stocker aerodynamically.

My buddies Rocket 3 wasn't stock either, he says it got 147 horsepower on dyno. The biggest problem I've seen from the older Rocket 3s is getting a good launch and getting 2nd gear cleanly. My lead by 60 foot is huge.
It could be due to your skill. Did you switch bikes?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
It could be due to your skill. Did you switch bikes?
Excellent question. We have discussed switching bikes but when we get there we never seem to get around to it. I've ridden his bike on the street and found the shifting a little agriculture on his particular bike. I'm not pushing hard at the drag strip to switch because I'm a little intimidated by his bike.

I generally have an average. 06 reaction time to his .150 or worse. Sometimes one or both of us red light. So to even it out we determine the winner by ET only. So we take reaction time, red lights and who cross the end of the quarter mile first out of determining the winner to cancel out my experience.

He has taken 100 pounds off the bike but he still occasionally misses shifts or hits the rev limiter. So far in the 27 odd times we run his best ET about my worst ET. He did beat me once by .0015 when I fell asleep at the light.

I'd like to see him win but not enough to let him win. I'm still shooting for the high 11s.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Tricky for me - I have a T120 and a Tiger 800XRx. The 800 is my commuter bike, with reasonable weather protection (with an aftermarket screen). The T120's engine appeals more, the comfort is similar on both now I've got the K&Q seat on the T120, and Mrs Zero finds it easier to get on and off the T120. If it was purely for me, the new Tiger 900. If it was to be my one and only bike (and therefore catering for Mrs Zero too), a T120 with a big screen (I resist that as I haven't seen any that aren't pig-ugly).

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
I looked at the Tiger 1200 online and with the low seat, it’s about 31” which would fit me. However the top spec XRt is about $3k more expensive than my top spec BMW but it looks like a great bike. The Tiger 1200 models at my dealer were all about 33” which was way too high and put me off looking at them further.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Dougl1000, if your BMW R1200S is the blue and silver one I saw at the bike show in Jan, it was the bike I most coveted in the entire show. Saying this without ever having ridden it but it sure looked nice and the ergonomics were perfect. Could imagine effortless long days. Although can't help thinking it would be less fun than my Thruxton on the roads I do most of my riding on. Would really like to squeeze them both into my garage but I'm a one guy bike too. I'm more likely to add bar risers to my Thrux than get another bike.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Speed twin. Power of the Thruxton with a more comfortable riding position.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts