Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2003 TBS
1,475 Posts
A Thunderbird sport, and something else. Currently a Fat boy. No plans on trading the Fat boy, but it’s possible. The TBS is forever.

·
Registered
2017 honda africa twin, 2009 triumph thruxton
20 Posts
Pretty happy with my current duo. Not much overlap between the two..... Africa twin and Thruxton. The AT is my trave bike, dirty bike, off pavement explorer. The Thruxton is for my twisty, pavement mountain roads, day trips, after work short rides.

Before buying the Thruxton, I was actually looking for a plated dirt bike, but covid has the used bike market in a pretty weird place and I wasn't having any luck finding a decent bike at a reasonable price. I had always wanted a thruxton and happened to come across a good deal and scooped it up. Very glad I did because I think it's a better stable mate to my AT then a dirt bike would be. I can't get over how much I dig the thruxton. This one stays.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pretty happy with my current duo. Not much overlap between the two..... Africa twin and Thruxton. The AT is my trave bike, dirty bike, off pavement explorer. The Thruxton is for my twisty, pavement mountain roads, day trips, after work short rides.

Before buying the Thruxton, I was actually looking for a plated dirt bike, but covid has the used bike market in a pretty weird place and I wasn't having any luck finding a decent bike at a reasonable price. I had always wanted a thruxton and happened to come across a good deal and scooped it up. Very glad I did because I think it's a better stable mate to my AT then a dirt bike would be. I can't get over how much I dig the thruxton. This one stays.

Similar here 2016 Africa Twin and 2020 Speed Twin are the main bikes then a few collector bikes for fun.

·
Premium Member
2017 Triumph T120
976 Posts
I only have one (not counting my wife’s Bandit 400) but I find the Scrambler 1200 oddly appealing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm an ' experienced rider ', I prefer that over 'old rider' haha. I rode Harley shovel-heads (1968-79) for most of my life. Lost the last one in a flood in 2012. My son gave me the nudge a few years ago to buy a big 08 Suzuki C109R kind of cheap, and I've had a bunch of fun on it and 48,000 km in under 3 years but it is SOOOo dang big, and I just came across a low miler 08 Triumph America. Still a 'cruiser' but so much closer to nimble. I like it a lot, but am working on it a bit too as it has needed a little tlc and it is getting it now. hoping to put a lot of kms on it this year :+)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a Street Twin now (my Vespa PX does not count) and love the handling in traffic on my way to work. I'd love to have the Rocket 3 GT as a second bike for longer distances, it's kickass, but I am too scared to drive it...

·
Registered
2020 t120
337 Posts
It's a difficult question. I'd like a 2nd bike.
But, which Triumph? I've semi sorta kinda maybe narrowed down to 3. A Tiger, Street triple, Trident. The Street triple is a maybe.
Right now, the Trident leads. The Tiger is 2nd for now. I want to see how well I do on my t120 for a day trip with a passenger. Then if any mods are needed to it. I'm pretty sure I want to do something with the seat at this point. The Tiger would be the long haul bike, if the t120 doesnt work out.
The Trident would be the fun bike and what I really want. The Street triple is way more than what I need, but still would be fun.
The real deal breaker is the legalized extortion (insurance) you have to pay. Now, if they would allow 2 bikes for the same money, it's a go. After all, you cant ride both at the same time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow - this is a difficult question, sort of depends on the type of riding you like to do. If you like offroad/adventure, then certainly a purpose built rig will make that activity much more fun.

Alternatively, if you stay on pavement - do you do track days? Long rides with overnight stays?

For my 2p, I have a speed twin (after trading in my scrambler 1200). A large, comfy cruiser seems interesting. Until my skills improve (dramatically), I don't need any more performance than the ST offers.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Dang, I remember walking around the showroom floor thinking I need 1 of each they're so cool. First was the Storm then an R3 and speed triple, but then I started looking at other brands and realized that a few companies were really going for it and now a sdr sits where the s3 used to and a k1600 where the R3 had a spot. Now the new 1200 RS looks promising but still nothing to replace the gtl for 2 up and touring.

·
Registered
2019 T100
167 Posts
My plans for 2 are my current T100 and to add a road king. 2 different bikes for 2 different purposes, but both fit my likes and needs.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Current due, 2001 Bonnie and 2013 Monster EVO 1100. If I retire the Bonnie 2021 Street Scrambler and update the Monster.

·
Registered
2019 T100 Black
353 Posts
I have three. 2018 Goldwing non tour model for the long trips. A 2019 Triumph T100 for backroad fun and a 2020 Speedmaster for cruising. I appreciate being able to own different riding bikes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You really can't narrow it down to 2 bikes in my case. I want them all. Why? Because that is how much I love 2 wheels and an engine between your legs. I really want them all. From the different style of rides to different terrains.
If I would really have to narrow it down, it would be something light 300-500cc bike for dirt roads and "fun", and a long distance tourer. I'd go for honda crf300 rally / Fantic Caballero 500 Rally, and something like a HD Heritage/Indian Chieftain or something more 'adventure' type - Triumph Tiger 900 Rally pro // Yamaha Tenere 700. Or maybe something more sporty like Triumph Sprint, Kawasaki 1000SX, Suzuki GSX-S1000F, Honda VFR800... I really can't decide :D

·
Premium Member
'08 Bonneville, '14 Thruxton, '17 Thruxton R, '12 Street Triple R, '99 R1100S, '65 Ducati 350
22,761 Posts
I would have a 2008 Bonneville and a 2017 Thruxton R.

·
Registered
2019 Speedmaster
145 Posts
I love my Speedmaster (first “cruiser“ I’ve ever had), relaxed riding position, lots of power, decent sized gas tank, 6 speed... but I would also love a “classic” bike, like the Street Twin, or the T100, for shorter distance riding. I just love the look of those classic bikes. But then I really like that new Trident - it looks like it would be a blast to ride winding country roads on that. And that new Daytona.... or the Tiger, or Speed Triple... very cool looking bikes. Only two you say, eh? That’s a tough call! ;)

·
Premium Member
2017 T120 Black
483 Posts
If I could afford two bikes just for my own use, I would keep my T120 and buy a good track bike.

Probably one of Superleggera V4, H2R, or M1000RR

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
735 Posts
Well I am a True Gemini and it’s evident in my dual biker personality that I have 2 motorcycles to accommodate the twins needs, my Harley biker side and my sportier bike side.
Two total different worlds that don’t mix well with most but for me a easy balance to maintain being a Gemini. As far as choosing only 2 bikes I am really happy and satisfied with my personalized custom 20 yr old 2001 Harley Sportster with only 10,000 mi. On it. It runs as strong and solid as the day it left the showroom and I get major compliments on it all the time, it’s not fancy it’s a Harley! I smile with total satisfaction every time I am on it. I would not trade my 2001 Sportster straight across for a new 2021 Sportster if they ever made an offer like that...lol. But true!
and my second bike choice is my current 2016 TTR with only 12,000 mi. and it fills my sportier bike side perfectly At this age. ( Retired GIXXER Ryder now even though I still have one tucked away somewhere) the TTR is a rock solid runner and performer and it rides the rails smoother then any bike I ever owned. with my hardcore riding experience combined with the TTR is Match made in heaven.
everytime I am on it I wish I had this bike in Cali 35 years ago when I was doing Hwy 9 regularly and would of been king of the mountain with my canyon carving TTR back then...lol
and a great Hwy to utilize the TTR to its full potential.
I had to have a Thruxton because of its history in the game, I would never buy a totally revised 1 st year bike like the 2016 TTR because there’s always big changes the following years and sometimes they have issues which lead to recalls to get the bugs out.
but my way of thinking changed about purchasing the 2016 first major makeover and revised Thruxton after many years.
after watching many, many reviews On the 2016 TTR I felt confident to do a purchase and I am glad I did. I think as long as I take great care of it it will b still a very desirable bike many years from now taking in consideration of the popularity of Thruxton history. My personal feeling the 2016 TTR model will always b the highly desired Triumph generational change Thruxton.
Every time I ride the TTR I say in my head “ where have u been all my life” .....lol
but of course now I think I am ready for a new chapter in my life and entertaining the idea of EV motorcycle, so we will see if I am really ready to give up gas motos and go electric into the future and hopefully b happy with just one bike instead of 2 or more....... FTG

1 - 20 of 70 Posts