Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Five months after putting down my deposit on a T100 and waiting through a long winter I finally drove the new bike home today. And it will come as no surprise to a lot of you that this is one fantastic motorcycle. I haven't swung my leg over a bike in more than 20 years... but in less than one minute after keying the motor it all came back to me. Its not the most powerful or fastest motorcycle I've every had, but it is certainly the classiest, smoothest and easiest to ride. I just have to think about where I want to be and it takes me there. I can't wait until after the break in and I can pour on the full power. However, I teased enough out of it today to know it is going to be loads of fun. No snatchiness and the ergos fit me perfectly. The EFI is electric smooth.
The bike is stock except for a grab rail and center stand. I have the chrome valve cover to install and some day I will be playing with the exhaust... but right now, this bike is for riding. And the smile seems permanent.

·
30,527 Posts
He heeeeeeeeeee!

Attaboy - good for you.

My experience is - if the smile lasts longer than 4 hours - go for another ride!

The chrome valve cover will look good on that.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Nice bike and congratulations! Feels great don't it? But I don't see no smile! :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
His smile is so big that he can't fit it in the frame with the rolling tuxedo.
That's a very nice bike. Classy.
If james bond rode a bike, it would be a black and white T100.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Eady finally!!! Congrats on the new bike. It is gorgeous. Glad you finally got it and can ride over there. I am still a bit away from that.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Good looking bike, great colour scheme, unlike Prop I like the black valve covers as the engine fins sets it off.

You'll have a terrific time on that bike, be prepared for onlookers to ask questions about it.

---------------
Ride on ! :)

·
30,527 Posts
Crikey the guv'nors in! :eek:

Its a fine looking bike, and you will indeed be asked many questions wherever you go. It is a quite fun aspect of these machines.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Congratualtions on the T100. That color scheme is awesome. Oh, and the smile... four hours is just the beginning. I'm guessing it will be permanent.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Congrats Richard. Nothing like getting a new motorcycle at the beginning of spring.
You are an obvious man of taste choosing the B&W Bonnie. ;) Initially I thought the bike needed a chrome valve cover but was mistaken. The designers knew better than I and have left the black cover unchanged. Cal who I was going to swap with fortunately found a black cover from another member so give that some thought.
Lastly...the oh so controversial...how should I break my new bike in?
I come down between the owners manual and the following link.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

1. Don't lug the motor
2. Vary your RPM...frequently closing the throttle to increase vacuum to sweep the cylinder wall shedding fresh metal and pulling oil up from the bottom end.
3. Use the entire RPM range to stretch the rods to bed in the whole cylinder bore.

In other words, ride it like you stole it :)

My new bike just like yours is returning the favor.

Ride safe Richard...scuff those tires in and bed the brakes before leaning the bike over too far.
Best,
George

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the best wishes. I think this one is a keeper.

George... interesting article. Like most advice, a person takes what makes sense to them and applies it and there are some convincing arguments there. One thing I won't be doing is giving in to the temptation to start the bike up in the garage just to hear it run while waiting for the rain to stop.

I think I read somewhere that the original factory oil in the Bonneville is not synthetic. Can anyone comment on that?

Also, on the left side of the bike below the fake float bowl there is a black knob. What is that for? I didn't see any reference in my quick perusal of the manual. The mystery knob is about the same size and a couple of inches below the fast idle knob.

Thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Valve Cover

I kinda like the valve cover as is as well! It goes well w/ the color scheme of the bike & the set-off as mentioned! Might re-think that & save $100+??

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
+1 on that. I rode mine hard during the break in period and my bike is a little hooligan now! :)
Old tenent that has implicitly been known by hotrodders for decades. Run 'em in slow and they never run fast.
:D
Richard the dealer stated that the original oil is break in oil but I would never bet the lottery on what they say. ;) Stands to reason the initial oil is dino however with slightly less lubricity for break in and perhaps fractionally less viscosity.
My dealer only wants $225 for the first oil change at 500 miles and to check the chain tension. Great marketing and looking for reasons not to go there...like change the oil myself for 20 bux. Also...under 1500 miles or so, not a bad idea to run dino Rotella in the motor...white bottle....what I may do before switching to blue jug...Grade III syn Rotella which I have run in all my bikes.
George

·
Registered
118 Posts
Valve Covers

If you get the chrome I'll buy the black. PM me and we can work out the figures.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I kinda like the valve cover as is as well! It goes well w/ the color scheme of the bike & the set-off as mentioned! Might re-think that & save $100+??
When I ordered the '09 bike the '08 I saw sitting in the showroom had a grey engine top and valve cover... I ordered the chrome cover based on that. I agree that it is now a toss up with the black engine top on whether the chrome cover works. But I did get the chrome cover at a good discount because it was part of the "deal", but I haven't installed it yet. I think I am going to put it on as I have seen some pictures of '09s with the chrome top and like it. Or, I might offer it as a partial trade for a set of TORS. If I hadn't already ordered it, I probably wouldn't knowing what I know now. Not a big deal.

·
30,527 Posts
Well if you've got it anyway, swap it out when it's convenient and go with whichever one you like the look of most. The black cover does sit well on your bike, because you have plenty of other shineiness. Still there you go. Swapping it out is not that hard (just don't overtorque the screws).

I'm planning on putting a chorome cover on mine, but I have the Bonnie black - a little dash of shine in there would look OK I think.

But never mind that - enjoy your wonderful new bike! It's a fine acquisition!

Just an aside - folks when you come up with an idea for a swap do it via PM please.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Just took my shiny one off and sent it abroad in return for a nice black one to match my black everything else.

·
30,527 Posts
I bet the lucky recipient of that shiny cover is looking forward to putting it on his bike, whoever he is.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW, when I was picking up my bike I saw a new Thruxton and was very impressed. It was all black with a dark silver stripe down the middle of the tank and fenders with brushed silver side covers. Just Gorgeous. If I wasn't set on the standard pegs vs rearsets I would have changed my order on the spot.

And Prop, this is for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3W5GDkgf2w

·
Registered
373 Posts
Congrats, I guess the grab bar is to hold on to in case you smile to much. Or your passenger could ride backwards and smile at all the cars following you.
Black and White a great color scheme.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts