Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Ted Simon (or you) were to nix his BMW and do another round the world run on a Triumph, AND you chose the Scambler, how would you modify and outfit the bike for the trip?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Better front and rear suspension; a Corbin seat; stronger rims and spokes from a top-notch supplier; a brighter front head light; a bigger gas tank; (and a trailer hitch to pull the trailer that would hold everything else I'd need to go around the world).

That's all I can think of, because I am not so familiar with those tall BMWs meant for the Paris-Dakar races.

·
Registered
902 Posts
According to his latest trip journal from going around the world a couple of years ago Ted approached Triumph about supplying a Bonnieville (he currently rides a Tiger) since his first was on that 1973 Triumph, apparently Triumph wanted no part of it and never responded. Too bad would have been great for Triumph advertising and make for another great travel book. Here is his website.

Ted Simon

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Ice- Thanks for the link!

I'm about 2/3 through his first book, and eating up every page. I look forward to getting into his other works.

But hey, I rode from Minneapolis to Alexandria...

(Alexandria, Minnesota- about 150 miles... :razz: )

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
tba, is that Jupiter's Travels you're reading?

If so, when you get to the crossing of the Nullarbor plain, he describes how his Meriden rear wheel disintegrates. That would be top of the list, reliable back wheel!!!!! Forks and front wheel off a Yamaha TT600. Big ally tank. Aforementioned ally panniers.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Yep- Jupiter's Travels. I won't skip book number 2, but I'm really interested to read the up-coming account of his 25 year later retracement...the amazing political changes, at the very least, will make for great stuff!

Can't endorse Simon enough... I'm glad this forum introduced him to me, as I doubt I would have encountered him on my own...

·
Registered
902 Posts
I agree TBA, can't endorse Simon enough either, I ordered "Riding High" recently and can't wait to start it.

Ted will sign books that you order from his website which is a plus.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
You mean like this? I asked Ted to sign his book when we met at Mid Ohio in 1997. When I asked if he'd ever crossed paths with Jim Rogers, who had written "Investment Biker" (another round the world bike trip), Ted simply stated 'no, that he and Jim probably ran in different circles'. Good answer.

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Bob-

Nice reference to Jim Rogers! I've read much of his non-riding work. Investment stuff. He is one sharp, global, contrarian. A risk taker with a brain that he is able to tap both sides of....

I need to read his bike related book(s) as well. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
TBA -

"Investment Biker" is also an excellent read, but from a different perspective, and written years later than "Jupiter's Travels". If you enjoy reading biking adventure travels, both are excellent books. How he picks his riding companion is .... unusual ... but interesting. I cannot imagine listening to the h*** he must have caught for doing it.

Bob

[ This message was edited by: ohiorider on 2006-12-13 21:30 ]

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Bob- I can imagine.

Rogers is a man with an intense personality/ego, who has been willing to make enormous "plays" on non-traditional investments.
He is a real Zen investment thinker, a (pardon the stupid rhyme) linker of how events, of all sorts of nature, affect markets in all parts of the world.

A real simplified example: when oil prices go up, most investors look to buy oil stocks. Well, Jim feels, that's the mass reaction. Instead, he decides to "short" the airline stocks, reasoning that they are trapped with higher fuel costs, unable to pass them along to the consumer, and, in the short run, screwed. This is a real simplistic scenario of what he does, and how his mind works...

I find it very compelling, and true.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I'm so conservative that 5% CDs look good (well, I'm retired), but I agree, reading Roger's book gives you the feeling that all of life is an adventure, whether it is financial or personal. This guy knows how to intermingle the two. Having said that, both Ted Simon's books and Jim Roger's are equally compelling, perhaps not for the same reasons.

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts