Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Someone referred to my bike as a "rice rocket". Considering its European origin I don't feel that the term is accurate. This started a conversation about the proper terminology.

Suggested were "warm beer rocket" and "tea and crumpets rocket" :eek:, but neither had the correct ring to them.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I consider my bike to be a street fighter or naked bike. I get really owly I someone refers to my bike as a crotch rocket.

·
Registered
906 Posts
It's a Britbike.

A modern, naked "Cafe Racer" and street racer.

Not that it matters much, with bikes being built all over the world with the current outsourcing mentality now days.

Nevertheless, I always refer to my British Mistress as a "Britbike" in conversation with rice rocket owners.

S.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I started using ""ale sipper" around the HD types who ask "Is Triumph Japanese?" and the obligatory "Didn't know they still made Triumphs" and heard last weeK..."Is that a rebadged Yamaha?"

Start talking about Guiness or Smithwick's beer...makes them want to go drink "Euro Ale"..(Budweiser....).

Derswede

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, modern bikes have parts sourced from all over the world. Britbike sounds more appealing than crumpet racer. I never liked the sound of myself telling people I rode a "naked" bike, and street fighter sounds like I have something to prove.

I just tell people I ride a Street Triple, and switch the subject to the weather.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Someone referred to my bike as a "rice rocket". Considering its European origin I don't feel that the term is accurate. This started a conversation about the proper terminology.

Suggested were "warm beer rocket" and "tea and crumpets rocket" :eek:, but neither had the correct ring to them.

Any suggestions?
Snot rocket?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I like cafe racer, though I usually refer to my bike as my "rat bike" or simply "motor bike"...

·
Registered
962 Posts
It's a "Roadster." Says so right there on the new Triumph website. But Crotch Rocket is ok, too.

"Snot Rocket" made me chuckle! :D

·
Super Moderator
4,765 Posts
I started using ""ale sipper" around the HD types who ask "Is Triumph Japanese?" and the obligatory "Didn't know they still made Triumphs" and heard last weeK..."Is that a rebadged Yamaha?"

Start talking about Guiness or Smithwick's beer...makes them want to go drink "Euro Ale"..(Budweiser....).

Derswede
HD riders are just jealous because Triumph is the oldest existing motorcycle brand. Triumph was founded in 1885 and the upstart new guys Harley and Davidson didn't come around until 1903.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
HD riders are just jealous because Triumph is the oldest existing motorcycle brand. Triumph was founded in 1885 and the upstart new guys Harley and Davidson didn't come around until 1903.
Was on the road some this week after surviving Canadian roads (Quebec and Ontario) as well as making it thru West Virginia without hitting a horned RAT!! (Deer). A couple of HDs were at the same gas station I use, and they snickered at my "German junk" bike. After commenting that it was BRITISH and that Triumph was older than HD, they said, "Prove it!" I just told them to google it.....all 3 pulled out iPHones and started surfing the web to confirm. Pity I didn't have a camera on me...old tech & new tech together! They were pissed to find out that you are quite correct....heh...

Derswede

·
Super Moderator
4,765 Posts
Exotics tend to be very small production very high end vehicles. I would call Ducati and Triumph semi-exotic due to there very small production volume. There are less Triumphs and Ducatis of all there models put together made in a year then Honda sells of the CBR600 alone. Triumph sells about 55-60 thousand bikes a year world wide. The CBR600 sells over 100 thousand units worldwide.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Life is about compromises... I would *like* to drive something completely impractical like a '68 Camaro SS, a '49 Mercury Coupe or a '69 Holden HT Monaro GTS 350 (a manly car that has Brut or Hai Karate in the window washers instead of water) but the Mrs (who is Asian) made me buy a Honda. I am immune to the term 'Rice Rocket'.

If I had influence over OPEC, had a team of mechanics available 24/7 and a suitable macho manly profession that wreaks of lone wolf (accountant, dentist, network analyst, etc) I'd buy a Harley. I don't.

In a country where all the drug dealers and smugglers seem to be riding Yamaha X-Max 250s, I (a mere Highways Enforcement Officer) choose to ride a Triumph Street Triple R... A bra... It's missing one cylinder... Isn't that make a car?... It looks like WALL-E... Wheres the chrome?... It's not a REAL Triumph... etc... etc... etc...

Someone called your bike a 'Rice Rocket'. Get over it. I'm more concerned that the initial post said it was of 'European origin' which is way more offensive knowing full well that most of the european countries hate eachother. Given white americans didn't suddenly materialise on that continent, it would be fair to class Harleys as of 'European origin'.

Rant over.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts