Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, My name is Noah from Hawaii,I'm new here but if anyone can help me out, I will be forever grateful.

Got my bike (72 Bonnie) a few months ago. Ran perfect, but then the battery wouldn't get a charge anymore and it would only last me 20 or so minutes. There were no resistors on the plugs, and I figured this might have burned out the 3phase sparx regulator. I got some resistors and the voltmeter was reading things like 11 to 18 bouncing all over the place. I purchased a podtronics 3phase regulator, and that seemed to have fixed that problem. While my podtronics was in the mail, I figured I would give my carbs a good clean since the bike has been sitting a while before I purchased it. I took off the twin mikunis, and was going to break them down and use some carb cleaner on them. My brother recommended this purple stuff that he uses to degrease a lot of his other parts. So I figured what the hell. I installed the new regulator and carbs, fired her up. And, WOW. Horrible! really lumpy idle, backfires with anything over 3k rpms. I took the carbs back off and found a lot of white residue on the carbs. So I broke them down again and gave them a 24 hour carb clean dunk. Reinstalled and nothing changed. Checked the timing and its perfect. When I give it a little throttle, it will rev up, but if I go wide open on it real quick it dies and stutters. I don't know what to do here, I'm out of ideas. This thing was running perfect a few weeks ago, with just a charging problem; I'm skeptical its something huge. If anyone has any ideas I am willing to try them, I personally think I may have to buy new carbs because perhaps that cleaning solution ruined them, but I hope that is not the case. I currently have the carbs air screw out 2.5 turns each, and Have adjusted them here and there with minimal improvement. Here is a list of the ignition:

Sparx 3phase generator
Podtronics 3phase regulator
Pazon Sure-Fire ignition
(2) Emgo 6v coils.

Here is also a video of the bike currently idling, you can hear towards the end how the bike will die with too much gas, also the mic is from my phone so its a bit monotone. Thank you for your time, Aloha - Noah

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Two and a half turns out on the air screws sounds like a lot of air (I have to say here I am not familiar with the Mikuni settings). Did you check where they were before taking them out? Did you keep the enrichener plungers and other rubber pieces out of the carb cleaner? That stuff ruins rubber. If the plunger rubbers have been damaged and started leaking, it could be causing an over rich condition. What do your plugs look like? They should be tan. If they are black they may be fuel fouling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, the carbs were completely disassembled to the best of my knowledge, the choke assembly was removed and the orings and gaskets were taken out before the dunking. I will double check to see if I missed anything. I've played with the different settings on the air screw, and the first time I put the carbs back on, I had them set at the original settings; the settings that ran my bike perfectly. The plugs have been pretty black. Even when the bike was running well they were kinda black. The jet is a 220 I believe, but I'm under the impression that is normal for a 650 with mikunis.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
The 220 jets are the main jets. They affect 3/4 to wide open operation. The needle jet, needle size and needle clip setting are in effect from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle so would be the circuit involved with the 3000rpm miss. Did you get the needle clips back in the same slots? The air screws control the mixture for idle to probably 1/8 where slide cut away starts coming into play. There is some overlap of each circuit. I would start by installing a fresh set of plugs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm

Plugs would be a cheap test too, I'll replace those tomorrow. The needle shouldn't have been changed, they were in the middle when I took them out, and I haven't changed them; I'll double check though. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no dice on the plugs, but thanks for the advice. Sometimes I overlook the easiest of remedies. I may order a new set of mikunis since these are old and I can't seem to get these to work. IDK though, it's quite confusing!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
dj,

You state you have a bad battery, questionable charging system and an electronic ignition and have concluded the bike runs poorly because of a carb problem. While I have no personal experience with the Pazon ignition, I have read that they are somewhat tolerant of low voltage conditions. Even if this is true about the model of Pazon you are running, you need to correct the low voltage condition before you decide that this is a carb problem. You may need a new battery, clean all terminals, check alternator, etc., etc. Then you need to check the timing. Then you can move on to the carbs.

Henry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree Henry, but I replaced the regulator and it seemed to fix my electrical problems, checked the timing and it was a 100% where it should have been. I will double check today with the multimeter and see what the voltage is running at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts