Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after putting in a fresh load of Rotella sny and a pure one filter, (changing out the liquied gold sold by Mobil with Triumph's name and a K&N),NH Togas (w/o baffles) bent the kickstand to clear, 125 jets (3turns) with new allen carb screws, longer seat screws and popped the snorkel. I took her out today. The sound is great, I get some decel popping that I didn't before, not a ton of it but consistently some. Is there something wrong with the mix that causes this? Also, at idle it churned at around 1500rpm, and seemed to fluctuate about 100rpm or so. I turned her down to 1000 but was wondering what I might have done to cause this?
Bike seems to vibrate a bit more than before but I haven't been on her since last fall so it might be just me.

·
30,523 Posts
The change in idle can come just because you were working in that area. It's easy to throw the idle position off a bit when pulling the float bowls, plus you've changed the air inlet a bit so things are different.

Your popping could be a slight lean condition, try adjusting the mixture screws out another 1/4 or 1/2 turn. You might also have leaks on the silencer to header joints. I did one time, and I had some popping as a result. Take the silencers off and seal the joint with some high temp RTV if necessary.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I recently balanced the carburettors and finely adjusted the a/f screws and The machine is noticably smoother than it was - and it wasn't bad before. Might want to try that.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Prop, I coated the pipe joints pretty well at install, no apparent signs of leakage. I'll try your suggestion re: another 1/4-1/2 turn. Good thing I snagged a D-tool when I got my carb screws!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
David,
Did you do the carb balance yourself? What does the required gear cost?
Thanks

·
30,523 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
David,
Did you do the carb balance yourself? What does the required gear cost?
Thanks
I bought the newbonneville mercury tuner, very easy to use, but I think any one will work fine. Some guys make their own [probably instructions on this site], way cheap and functional. I am lazy - buy one, send it to me, teach wife how to use it...:D

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
Carb synchronizer

I have the TwinMax, about $100, no mercury involved, easy to use.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you haven't already, I'd recommend removing the Air Injection system with one of the readily available kits out there.

The AI system is used to mix air into the exhaust to help finalize combustion of unburnt fuel. Factory mufflers/baffles tend to mask this noise, while more open exhausts allow you to hear the popping sound. This occurs on many different motorcycles, not just Triumphs.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks - took out the AI as my very first mod. Appreciate the heads up though.
Took the screws out another 1/3 turn and it seems to have cleared up a bunch.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
If it ain't popping on decel, your pilot screws are set too rich or you have too quiet a silencer.:D When the carbs are set with a sniffer, they will pop some on decel overrun--at least mine has since I had it set up on the dyno. If you lose a vacuum nipple, the popping is VERY noticeable, and I would suspect it would be with any vacuum leak and should be easy to tell the difference between normal popping on decel overrun and popping from a vacuum leak.

·
30,523 Posts
Yes a bit of popping on straight through pipes is normal. Gives a bike much needed brute character! Grrrrrrr! :D

Sounds like you have it trimmmed in about right now!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts