Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Afternoon folks i am about to try a repair on the idler gear boss on my 2002 Bonneville after it went bang due to trying to start it on a low battery ,I am going down the route using the TTP SAFE START as my (attempted repair) option , Now question seeing as i cant find the broken bits would it be proper order to pull the sump cover off and see if they are in there ...

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Well, you're going to have to find ALL the bits that have broken off anyway, so if they're not behind the clutch cover the sump is going to have to come off (fortunately it is possible to remove the sump without having to remove the frame rails, but it is a bit of a fiddle...).

Once all the parts have been found, quite a few people have successfully "reconstructed" the starter boss with the TTP safe start and supplied JB Weld - so you've nothing to lose!

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers H3CT1C you said all the right things there especially the frame rails part i dont mind fiddley aslong as its do able ,Just a shame i wasnt aware of the boss issue before it went bang hinsight is a wonderful thing ...will keep you posted on the proceedings ...

·
Super Moderator
1,786 Posts
You might do some searching here and find a the thread on one guy that rebuilt his after the failure. Sorry I do not recall who it was but it was a good write up.
Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Back2-2 yes thanks ..i have been going through them and looking for pitfalls and any thing that can stop me from doing it and casing off found bit broken off the side casing boss removed the idler gear ..boss 3/4 buster as apposed to 1/2 as most of the pics show and now stopped as dont have a Torx bit to fit the screws (arrowed)that hold the breather on to the starter gear (i think its called) as in the pic below so off for a coffee then out with the mole grips lol ..

·
Vendor
2,384 Posts
Lam-D, sorry to see that you've suffered the failure of the idler gear boss breakout. As others have said it can be fixed with the Safe Start if you can find all the bits of the broken boss.

One thing to make sure of, is that once the reconstruction of the idler boss is complete with the Safe Start, make sure you gently clean out the boss of JB Weld as the rod is a precision fit and you'll have problems inserting the rod if it's not clean. The rod needs to be a smooth fit in the boss, because if there is any play, the repair may not last long term.

Best of luck with the repair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts