Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the silly question; I am 700+ kms from home and my shop manual. What is the correct idle speed? Mine is 1400-1500, which I know must be high. Bike is running perfectly, just seems to idle high.

Greg.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mine generally sits around 1000-1100, but wiggles slightly (not kidding). Kind of weird, no other bike I've owned has had an unsteady idle right from the dealer. Usually indicates the injectors need sync'ing.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Check the slack in your throttle cables. There should be 2 mm of free play at the throttle.
;)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, the lowest it dropped down to was 1400 - 1500 when warm. (5 or 6 bars of coolant temp.)

·
Super Moderator
4,756 Posts
I would recommend taking it to a dealership and having them run a diagnostic test to see what temperature the ECU is reading. Just because the instruments are reading the correct temp doesn't mean the computer is seeing the same temp. I don't know how the Triumph computer system works but BMWs run a CAN bus system which is like a ethernet network with multiple computers. Basically the instruments on the BMWs have their own computer and interpret inputs like engine temp separately from the engine management unit.

In any case you either have a computer input problem as in engine temp or throttle potentiometer error or you have a physical problem preventing the throttle rail from closing completely. Either way your problem is potentially dangerous so get it looked at as soon as possible.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To be safe, I brought it in to the one Triumph dealer in Philadelphia.
Bike was idling 1200-1300 according to my tach, he said the idle speed sounded normal. This right after some stop-and-go traffic on I-76. He took it into the shop, hooked up tool to bike (no bad codes found), adjusted throttle slack (was just a little too much before he adjusted it), adjusted clutch cable, checked oil, etc. All is well, better safe than sorry!

Then he charged me NOTHING! Good dealer (he knew I was from Canada and likely would not be back there.) So I bought a t-shirt.

http://www.manayunktriumph.com/site_map.asp

1 - 16 of 16 Posts