Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just added the Tach to my 06 Bonnie.

What is the ideal idle setting??

Seems my pre-Tach setting by feel & sound was close to 10k.

Any advice?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Typo,

Yes, 1k

Thanks

·
Registered
673 Posts
My bike is brand new and idles at 2200rpm, which seems a little high. I let out the clutch a little at stop lights and it goes down, but I don't wanna cause unnecessary stress to my clutch. Is this normal, or should I do something about it?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
2200 rpm is way to high.
It should not be more then 1200.
If you sit for to long at that speed you are sure to over heat.
I like mine about 1000. But ,it should be 1000/1200
Bill

·
Registered
673 Posts
So how do I get the idle down? You are right, the bike is getting very hot in traffic. It was almost 80 today and I can feel the heat rising off of the bike when I am in stop and go traffic longer than a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
On the left side of your bike , there is a black knob at the
lower left of the carb , below the choke knob.
I think you turn it counter clock wise to slow it down.
I'm not sure but, You will know right away.
Bill

·
Registered
303 Posts
Why would anyone want their engine to idle faster than the slowest it will reliably run? Mine will idle perfectly at 500; below that it stumbles a bit. Having the lowest idle you can achieve allows the best compression slowing when you close the throttle.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Thank bvbilly. Went in my garage and figured it out right after I posted that. What a difference. Sounds like a motorcycle now, not an electric scooter. That may also have to do with the fact that I did a bafflectomy this morning and drilled 5 holes in the second baffle. My buddy was in a car at a light this morning and said he knew it was me before he saw me just because of that great Triumph chug-a-chug.

·
Registered
426 Posts
On 2007-02-25 17:32, Bhakti-rider wrote:
Why would anyone want their engine to idle faster than the slowest it will reliably run? Mine will idle perfectly at 500; below that it stumbles a bit. Having the lowest idle you can achieve allows the best compression slowing when you close the throttle.
Excessively low idle speed = excessively low idle oil pressure and flow rate.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've seen that about the oil pressure at low idle speeds; I asked a tech at a local Triumph shop specifically about that, and he said as long as it's running it's getting enough oil flow. I didn't ask about the alternator, but I did ask if there was any other factor that would make it undesirable to set the idle as slow as it would reliably run, and he said no. The benefit of more slowing when closing the throttle is one I really appreciate, so I'm going with a slow idle; if I have problems some day that a technician identifies as resulting from too slow an idle, I'll have learned a lesson, and I'll certainly post the fact. "To each his own" said the old lady as she kissed the cow...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
benefit of more slowing....than what, the brakes? :razz:
G

1 - 14 of 14 Posts