Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have replaced their idle mixture screws with the thumb screws from NewBonneville, did you have to remove the carbs and turn them upside down so that you didn't lose anything? (I'm assuming that there is probably a washer and o-ring?) Or, can you get the old screw and hardware out as it sits? I've been wanting to get these for a while and that thought just crossed my mind...thanks!

·
Registered
510 Posts
If I remember correctly....

No, you definitely don't have to remove the carbs. Just unscrew the idle mixture screws that are stock by using a D-tool (you can find at most of the online vendors). But watch as you unscrew them because they are held in by a spring and a small washer, if I remember correctly. They both will fall out as you pull the stock screw out. You just replace the spring and washer on the thumbnail screws in the same order and twist them in till they seat.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Don't know but doubt you need do more that thread the D screw out. Was going to get the thumb screws, but sort of need a D tool to get 'em out, or a fashioned one at least.
Got a newbonn D tool but decided against the thumbers 'cause I figured I'd move them while cleaning, etc. I like them recessed, but to each his own.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I remember correctly....

No, you definitely don't have to remove the carbs. Just unscrew the idle mixture screws that are stock by using a D-tool (you can find at most of the online vendors). But watch as you unscrew them because they are held in by a spring and a small washer, if I remember correctly. They both will fall out as you pull the stock screw out. You just replace the spring and washer on the thumbnail screws in the same order and twist them in till they seat.
Ok, thanks BB, I have the D tool, just would rather the thumbnail screws since I'm always trying to fine tune the bike, they seem to be more convenient-just wanted to know what to look for when I take them out

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
No help here. It's been over 3 years since I installed the externally adjustable piot screws, and I had already removed the carbs when I did the install. But you are correct .... there are a few small parts you'll need to watch for .... like the tiny o ring and washer .... think I recall s small spring also.

Bob

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No help here. It's been over 3 years since I installed the externally adjustable piot screws, and I had already removed the carbs when I did the install. But you are correct .... there are a few small parts you'll need to watch for .... like the tiny o ring and washer .... think I recall s small spring also.

Bob
K, thanks, Bob

·
Registered
399 Posts
Don't remove the carbs unless you just want to.

O-ring on top, washer in the middle....then the spring.

Sometimes the o ring and washer fall out....sometimes they don't.

It's easy....and very difficult to screw up.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Tool

If ya dont want to spring for a "D-Tool" for this 1 job, a spent M-16 shell casing w a bend will do nicely!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts