Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anyone had trouble with the idle mixture D type screw not adjusting at all I purchased the correct tool to do the job but both screws refuse to move ! the tool locates OK but how much force is needed to adjust these things.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Just did that today with a "D" tool, OldBiker. Turned quite easily. If you are positive it is seated correctly, give it a good tweak with thumb and forefinger. Perhaps it is just a bit "set" from time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope tryed again this mornin apart from putting some grips on the tool (joke) both mixture idle screws don't want to move, I purchased the the Bonneville when it was 1yr old in 2006 I don't think any one before me would want to adjust them the only reason I need to adjust it as I've put old styled silencer and rejetted on Bonneville

·
Registered
234 Posts
binding

Any chance the tool is binding on the side of thehole? Try cleaning up the tool with steel wool, maybe put a little lub on it too. Just a thought, I know with a screw driver on mine, if I'm off a little on the angle, the screw driver will bind on the hole side, HTH's

Hoopla

·
Registered
453 Posts
Very weird, should not be happening. Sure you're turning them in the correct direction? I know that sounds retarded but sometimes stupid suggestions make for the easiest solutions.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Tryed again today for the third time and guess what's happened the D tool is F**%$D
I first made my own D tool from a bit of pipe from a long air nozzle - had the right ID and OD. Used needle nose pliers to bend the D shape and wrapped duct tape to thicken the base for a good grip. Worked okay, but the "genuine' thing from newbonneville worked better. I just adjusted my carburetors to 2 3/4 turns out - pretty exact with the tool, and man, the bike hums sooo much better than before. My home made job must have allowed for too much slop. $16 a bit pricey - but good tools for a good bike, eh?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts