Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i've been reading a lot on the forums about carb tuning and setting of the idle mix. None of the posts i've read thus far deal with the 2009 (2010 US) models.

I adjusted mine to run at about 800 - 900 rpm at idle when warm.

My questions are:

Can adjusting the idle mix (i used the little black adjuster beside choke) upset the performance of the bike at all ?

Do the new 2009 (2010 US) Thruxton's need carbs balanced ? I was under the impression that the carbs on these new EFI models were for show only ?

Cheers

·
Registered
906 Posts
The EFI models have fuel injectors inside those fake carb bodies.

Adjusting the idling speed doesn't affect the bike, but if you set it too low it won't charge the battery when idling.

The EFI is set up via computer by your dealer.

S.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Those are not carbs on your '09, they are throttle body fuel injectors. Anything you read about tuning carbs doesn't apply. Tuning on these bikes is accomplished using an electronic mapping device connected to the bikes ECU. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cheers guys thanks for the info.

Is 800-900rpm a decent idle speed when bike is warm or ideally should it be a bit higher than that when cold ?

·
Registered
906 Posts
I usually set mine higher via the black adjuster and then let the ECM decide what it should be.

The ECM "learns" from it's sensors. My bike idles faster when very hot after a hard run, but that's not my problem...:D

I usually have my idle set around 1000 to 1100.

Having a higher idle speed ensures good charging of the battery, and it makes the bike easier to ride through slow traffic.

The downside is a bit of a *clunk* into first gear from a stop / start situation.

S.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is that 1000-1100 rpm hot or cold ? i'm assuming hot ?

cheers spooky great advice

·
Registered
230 Posts
Wait a sec. Doesnt the 09 EFI bikes need to do a throttle body sync? I know when I had my Yamaha, I used a carbtune II to do a throttle body sync on the bike.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mine idles at 1000-1100 when warm, Triumph spec is 1000 +- 50
rpm. On the scheduled maint chart the Throttle bodies are to be
adjusted every 6000 mile/1 year. This requires the "diagnosic tool".
I will probably just wait until one year , or I get pipes.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I usually set mine higher via the black adjuster and then let the ECM decide what it should be.

The ECM "learns" from it's sensors. My bike idles faster when very hot after a hard run, but that's not my problem...:D

I usually have my idle set around 1000 to 1100.

Having a higher idle speed ensures good charging of the battery, and it makes the bike easier to ride through slow traffic.

The downside is a bit of a *clunk* into first gear from a stop / start situation.

S.

How do you do that?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Wait a sec. Doesnt the 09 EFI bikes need to do a throttle body sync? I know when I had my Yamaha, I used a carbtune II to do a throttle body sync on the bike.

TPS position can be relearned but the throttle bodies still have to be 'synced' mechanically. There is only one TPS sensor. It will not tell you if your throttles are out of sync.

TPS relearn can be done disconnecting the battery for a minute then reconencting and letting the bike idle for several minutes if I recall.

Unless you're messing with the TPS sensor it really shouldn't be necessary.

I've had mine off twice to clean around the throttle bodies and never had a problem. Just warm it up then set the idle and go.

·
Vendor
2,352 Posts
This is a 3.5 year old thread guys, a lot has been learnt since then and the TuneECu software is now available to use.

The TPS can be set correctly by using TuneECU, it should be set at 0.60v (+/- 0.02v). Then run reset adaption to calibrate it. The throttle bodies can also be balanced with TuneECU.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts