Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a dumb question-
I ordered YSS rear shocks for my thrux. Can I change these one at a time at home without using a lift?
If so, will the stock shocks suddenly decompress when pulled off?
Or, is it time to let the dealer do it?

Thanks-

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Don't know exactly what a YSS shock is, but yes, change them one at a time, like the dealer would do I reckon. Put preload spring on the lowest [softest] setting; you may need to grab the frame under the seat and heft up a bit. Real easy to do - save your dough! :)

Oh, and the shock won't do anything once you remove it - it will sit there, inert, like a government worker [But here, I only jest :D]

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
If you have a center-stand, I would do em both at the same time so to speak. Once the new ones are on, you can easily lift the rear wheel a bit to put one shock on the top fitting--the second one should slide right on...anyway, this is the way I have done it with a center-stand.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I swapped to my Ikons one at a time - and that was with the sidestand and an aching back.
Without cetnerstand, one can use a car jack on the center stand mount to lift the rear wheel off the ground.

·
Registered
185 Posts
you can easily lift the rear wheel a bit to put one shock on the top fitting--
I had my Bonneville on the centerstand when I removed the shocks, and to lift the shock to the top mount hole, I layed a 2x4 on the ground 3 or 4 inches behind the rear tire, and then a 1x4 across it, poking under the tire (fulcrum effect) ... just step down easily on the 1x4 to move the tire up or down (easy to control).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only have a rear swingarm stand (pitbull). Not sure if I can use this to lift up the back and change the shocks 1 at a time, or if I should leave it on the kickstand. Is one shock enough to adequately support the rear on a stand?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I only have a rear swingarm stand (pitbull). Not sure if I can use this to lift up the back and change the shocks 1 at a time, or if I should leave it on the kickstand. Is one shock enough to adequately support the rear on a stand?
I have removed and replaced shocks I guess about five times - all on Triumphs, both Meriden and Hinckely types: always on the side stand and one at a time.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Yes.

You'll have problems if the shocks are different lengths; if they're the same length, it's easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts