Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check out the picture.
What are the red anodised nuts that top out the fork legs on the headstock called, and more importantly where can i get some to match my bike?
Also, on my bike currently the slotted rod that protrude from the red things are different lengths [about 10mm difference], is that a problem? Apologies for the crap descriptions.
Thx :D

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi Mark,

The inner section is the Spring Preload Adjuster and they should be exactly the same length...
otherwise one fork has more preload than the other and that is NOT good for the handling!

Cheers, G :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Fork caps. If the two silver bits in the centre are at different heights then your forks are adjusted incorrectly. they should both be the same height or you may get serious handling problems. Check your owners manual- Front suspension for proper settings. Did you buy the bike with those settings or has someone played with them.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorted now thanks guys. Got my screwdriver on one and now they are even. On closer inspection there wasn't 10mm difference , just one of the etched segments. I bought the bike like that [second hand], only just noticed tho and had it 3 months and done 2k miles.
Well see about the handling this afternoon.
Thanks.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, thats what i did, it was all there in the manual [10 mm above fork cap for standard factory setting]. Will experiment a bit with softer and firmer just so i know.
Thanks for the tips.
Mark.

·
Registered
240 Posts
No worries Mark. You should notice a difference in the handling department. I once bought a bike with the same front setup as yours and when i arrived home and checked the frontend, to find that one fork leg had a leaking seal and instead of fixing it, the guy just wound up one side so it was hard as a rock to compensate for having no oil in the fork leg !!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe the first owner toured to italy from the UK with pillion and luggage so i will check the back settings aswell.
Cheers. M

·
Registered
764 Posts
handling is sharper and more precise.
Getting correct TP helps too. Both were down 4-5 psi.
Mark

Good to hear you have made some progress.:)

The settings in the manual are a good base to start with. They are usually designed around a 75kg jockey.

To dial things in more precisely for you. Set the sags for the as per Ohlins instructions on the following website http://www.ohlins.com/Motorcycle/Settingupyourbike/tabid/59/Default.aspx;)

On the Sprint there are only 3 settings you can play with: front and rear spring preload and rear rebound damping. You will need someone to assist you with setting the sags.

Good luck

Ralphus

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mark

Good to hear you have made some progress.:)

The settings in the manual are a good base to start with. They are usually designed around a 75kg jockey.

To dial things in more precisely for you. Set the sags for the as per Ohlins instructions on the following website http://www.ohlins.com/Motorcycle/Settingupyourbike/tabid/59/Default.aspx;)

On the Sprint there are only 3 settings you can play with: front and rear spring preload and rear rebound damping. You will need someone to assist you with setting the sags.

Good luck

Ralphus
Holy moly, i've read the instructions several times now and i still have no idea what to do or what a SAG is. Bedtime reading i think. Thanks for the link Ralphus.

·
Registered
611 Posts
handling is sharper and more precise.
Getting correct TP helps too. Both were down 4-5 psi.
Mark, I always check my tire/tyre pressure before I take my Sprint out for a run. The pressure is not where it should be most of the time.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Hiya Mate,

If you ever need advice, mechanic work etc.....
if you are in the North Manchester area, even though he is NOT a Triumph main dealer, I would personally recommend Pete, at Warwick's motorcycles, in Heywood, Lancashire.

If he is still the mechanic there (Pete, old school type) there is not a marque or make of bike he cannot work on.....and even though he can be a bit expensive, his work is A1+++.

Tell him Frank the courier, from Middleton sent you....( GPZ900 Frank) .....he MIGHT charge you double......(jus jokin!!)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hiya Mate,

If you ever need advice, mechanic work etc.....
if you are in the North Manchester area, even though he is NOT a Triumph main dealer, I would personally recommend Pete, at Warwick's motorcycles, in Heywood, Lancashire.

If he is still the mechanic there (Pete, old school type) there is not a marque or make of bike he cannot work on.....and even though he can be a bit expensive, his work is A1+++.

Tell him Frank the courier, from Middleton sent you....( GPZ900 Frank) .....he MIGHT charge you double......(jus jokin!!)
Cheers, just might give him a call.
Appreciate the tip. Thx a lot.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok idiot question time again.
Try as i might i cannot find the rear rebound damping adjuster.
I can see no resemblance to my bike [08 sprint] to the illustration in the manual, it looks nothin like it.
Done all the others, forks and rear spring load, but the rear damping escapes me [not the adjusting, the finding!].
Any suggestions other than going to my dealers to ask them to point out the obvious!

·
Registered
554 Posts
The rebound damping adjuster is on the right hand side on the linkage at the bottom, look below the brake pedal.
Adjustment is measured in turns out from fully turned in. Standard adjustment is 1.5 turns out from bottom.
Turn clockwise to increase rebound, half a turn at the time should be enough.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts