Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I'm trying to get more mechanically competent: yesterday I successfully put new brake pads in my 2005 995i under the watchful eye of a friend who is an excellent bike mechanic (ex-engineer).

Next project: oil change *all by myself*!

So I know I'll need new sump drain bolt and washer + 4 litres of 10/40 oil + new filter.

Am I right in thinking that some filters have different external dimaters, so a wrench that fits around one might not fit another? If so, I guess an adjustable tool would be good.

Finally any tips on which parts to buy? A magnetic nut or not? Fully synth oil? Are some filters better than others?

THANKS ?

·
Registered
784 Posts
In the UK I'd suggest K&N or HiFlo filters. The important thing with the Tiger is the filter length as it is attached vertically under the engine. A Tiger filter will fit a Honda CB500 but not vice versa as the Honda filter would protrude an inch or so lower than the sump. Recommended oil is Mobil 1 synthetic. Excellent stuff.
The filter is awkward to remove so I usually just ram a large screwdriver through it to lever off, and put the new one on only hand tight.
A new bolt shouldn't be necessary though a new washer is a good idea. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN,

·
Registered
916 Posts
I just get the filter from the local Triumph shop. I'd get the right size wrench so it can be tightened properly-an adjustable one would probably not fit or be very difficult to get to work. Triumph makes one but there are cheaper ones around. I use semi synthetic, as at 60000 miles it's starting to burn a bit more oil, and the fully synthetic stuff is too darned expensive

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would suggest a torque wrench if your not used to turning wrenches. Inch lbs, not foot lbs. The foot pound will not be accurate that low of a torque spec. I would also get a service manual. I don't recommend you working on it without a manual. It will answer a lot of questions. Not sure if you can get them, I use wix oil filters. Always use a high quality oil and use the right viscosity for your climate. The service manual will give you a range of what they recommend for certain temps and climates and riding conditions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As Tiny Tiger said; get the fooking manual; RTFM; Synthetic oil, 10W40; read the sticky's at the top of the page you posted on...there is one on oil filters; take a good look at the filter location then go and buy a tool that will work for you; Do Not get into bad habits like driving a screw driver through the filter to remove it...sooner or later you will pay for that kind of thinking; find a funnel that will work; replace the washer; buy a magnetic bolt if you like, it isn't needed if you do frequent oil changes with quality oil and filter; use an inch pound/Newton meter torque wrench to install the bolt; don't over tighten the oil filter... Hand snug and 3/4 turn further... The compressed rubber and fine thread keep it snug...clean before and as you go...warm the engine before you drain the oil...use a clean pan and look at the oil with a light...if you see tiny sparklies, tiny metal particles, strain the oil through cheese cloth doubled/tripled...if no chunks you are probably ok but too much is a call and take the cloth to a professional.
This isn't rocket science but preparation, cleanliness and having all the right bits to hand makes it an enjoyable, if a bit messy, task. Did I mention RTFM! Good Luck, there are plenty of good folks here who will help you take good care of your Girly. All you have to do is ask in the title.
Cheers, Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts