Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a scheduled oil change on my 2000 Legend which was running beautifully and now the oil idiot light is now on. Have done them successfully previously but have to state that I'm not the most mechanically minded person you've ever shared brainspace with.

The only things I did different were I didn't replace the small o ring coz it looked ok... and i used Castrol 15w - 50 for the first time. I've previously run 10 - 40 with no problems. It's coming into summer here in northern Australia (it's hot) so I thought it might be a good idea. Please correct me if I messed up.

Any advice appreciated.

***?

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Any advice appreciated.
Don't run it until you figure out what's going on.

Pull the wire off the oil pressure sensor. Does the light go out? If not there is a short in the wire going to the sensor. If it goes out, pull the oil pressure sender out and crank the engine over. See if any oil comes out. If it does, put a pressure gauge in place of the sender and crank the engine long enough to get a reading. If it's more than a couple of psi, run the engine long enough to get a reading.

Early bikes with the sender on the sump read pressure before the oil filter. Later bikes with the sensor on the top of the case near the pipe for the valve train read pressure after the oil filter. If yours is after, and you still don't have pressure, pull the filter out and see if something is wrong. If yours is before, I'm at a loss as to how your oil change could be the problem, unless somehow all the oil going to the filter is going back to the sump instead.

Moderators: I think this thread is in the wrong category... No photo of idiot light...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts