Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

I am trying to establish the exact model of my 2005 Triumph Speedmaster so that I can purchase some new Hagon rear shocks from Britishbikebits.com. I bought the bike about 6 months ago, and I do not have specific details of the bike other than it is a 2005 Speedmaster. All I know id that it has twin carburettors, it is air cooled, and it is 865cc. I have uploaded a picture of my bike. If anyone can identify it, this will be really helpful. What shocks would you recommend as well? I appreciate any useful feedback in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,645 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of your suggestions, especially from grebmrof, I found this site useful. Hopefully I can order a pair of rear shocks from Hagon, as these seem to be what a lot of UK riders are purchasing to upgrade from the stock shocks, which are hard and uncomfortable, especially over potholes and uneven road surfaces.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I asked a couple of questions recently on this forum about my Triumph Speedmaster, regarding the specific model of my Speedmaster, which seems to be answered. The other question was regarding rear shocks, and I asked what others thought about Hagon Shocks, and some of you suggested contacting Fast Eddy, well I did, and there may be more than one store world wide. I sent an email on Fast Eddy website which had a UK address, and they said "Not our era". I had a look on a USA Fast Eddy website, and they had Hagon shocks, as well as other brands, but the Hagon shocks seemed quite expensive (cannot remember how much exactly), maybe $500 US dollars. This seems rather expensive to me, plus I have to consider import tax, and shipping costs. I did see a set on a UK website, British Bike Bits.com, which were around £150 + VAT (20%). Much more affordable. My only issue is whether they are any good. They don't say, 'Classic', or 'Standard', or anything like that. I was not able to see any shocks on the site with 'Classic', or 'Standard'. They are genuine British Hagon rear shocks I am sure of that, and it is a legitimate site. The part number is BON34. Has anyone come across these, and if so can they comment on whether they are good? I could phone the company, and ask about these shocks, and if I do not end up speaking to a phone sales person, I might get more information about them. If anyone has information, I will be grateful. Many Thanks.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Consider IKON shocks (Contact - Ikonsuspension) They are an Australian company who produce what used to be known as KONI shock absorbers, I think. They have a long history, read this: (About Us - Ikonsuspension). I have an '08 T100 that I have installed Progressive 444 rear shocks that I purchased via eBay. They seem nice, but were not inexpensive as I recall. I had been using hard side bags with brackets (both Hepco Becker) that because of the diameter of my newer Progressives were larger than my old Triumph stock shocks, the brackets would no longer fit the bike - so if this is a consideration, look into that too. Good luck! Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks grebmrof, for your help and advice. I have been on to the IKON website and been in contact with them, and they have given me a reasonable price for the rear shocks including shipping. The stock shocks on the Speedmaster are quite unforgiving when you ride over potholes or bumps on tarmac, so a pair of shocks that can absorb the uneven road surface better with our jarring my back would be a bonus.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm still hung up on rear shocks for my Triumph Speedmaster, and the plot thickens. So I have a couple of rear shocks as possibilities for my bike, IKON and Hagon. My dilemma now is size. I have measured my current stock pair attached to the bike and they measure 340mm in length. I contacted Shore Motorcycles (North Island NZ) enquiring about a pair of Hagon rear shocks and they can build a pair of Hagon shocks either 310 or 330 mm in length. I said that my stock shocks on the bike are 340mm. He said "The listed length for your bike model is actually 320mm. Measures are done eye to eye centers and according to the importer 340 is going to be 20mm over spec, 10mm over or under is generally ok. But if you wish to go 340, responsibility will be yours". Does anyone out there know the answer to this. I am now reluctant and slightly confused to buy a pair in either of these (310mm or 330mm) sizes in case they do not fit. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I'm sure you have double checked your measurement...I would suggest you talk again with the shop and perhaps the best you can do is to settle on the 330mm length shocks. A 10mm shorter shock is not very much at all. I think since the shocks are mounted at an angle, that 10mm difference from your present stock shock becomes even less of an impact to ride height when mounted. Is it possible to contact a local Triumph dealer and see what they can tell you about the stock shock length? I looked at the NewBonnevile website at their IKON shocks and they don't mention a stock length or the length of the shocks that they have available. Might be best to follow the advice of the motorcycle shop you are dealing with and enjoy the improved ride of your Speedmaster. Geez, shocks are not inexpensive are they?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey grebmrof, once again thank you for your advice. I think you are right regarding the 330mm shocks, as the bike shop I have contacted stated that a 10mm difference is acceptable either way, so 330mm is the closest to my stock 340mm rear shock. Once fitted the difference will be negligible, and make little difference in height, but the ride will surely be superior. Yes your right with the IKON shocks in that they do not state the length of their shocks on the site, which I find unusual and confusing. I would probably be happier with the Hagon shocks as they have a good reputation and a mark of quality. As you say the cost of these shocks are not inexpensive, but if they make an improved ride difference, then they will be worth the cost and last for the remainder of the life of the bike. Thank you. Happy riding :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts