Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'95 1200 Daytona

Ok I've had a persistent misfire on the Triumph for a week now and it's starting to drive me mad. checked all the usual suspects, coils, conections, pulse generator (cdi pickup), sprayed all the leccy bits with wd40 etc.

It just keeps getting worse, this morning though was a little different. Riding into work this morning gets to the point where the misfire really starts to make itself known and the bike just cuts out, dead nothing, not gradual like if it was fuel but off, kicks it into neutral, thumbs the starter and nothing, not a thing, checked fuses wiggled wires etc nowt. after about 5 mins, ignition on and thumbs the starter again and it bursts into life...!

so looks like it's heat related but with it going dead totally am wondering if the kill switch would do this if it was faulty. or could it be the starter relay or something else.

a friend did mention he thought it could be a regulator /rectifier fault would that cause the problems as above though? never had one go before so i dunno..

Your thoughts please....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm similar to mine but I did the cps already, it's got nology coils on. it's had all new jets, needles and emulsion tubes etc

·
Registered
744 Posts
When you said you checked the coils...what do you mean?

I am a newbie triumph owner, but my experience with misfires on modern bikes reckons that coils degrade at temperature, they test Ok when not running but start to fail when actually used...

Did you actually try new coils?

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
'95 1200 Daytona

Your thoughts please....
I am not sure how helpful this will be but you may already have the usual suspects surrounded in your thinking.

FWIW, the Nology coils are just PVL coils with a Nology sticker on them. Triumph OEM were PVL and early ones were Gill, some contend they all can have heat related problems and if you could isolate if one cyl was dropping out (use the spray bottle trick), you might swap around coils to see if it would move. Yours are the 2 cyl on 1 coil, unlike the triples. If nothing showed up on the tester, it would certainly point to some of the more oddball problems (starter relay, switch somewhere, etc).

Not sure if this is an option for you but with a curious issue like this you might try calling around your dealers and see if anyone has the T3880170 T3 Ignition Tester and if they will let you use/rent/borrow it on a heat cycle or two. This is a smallish box with a igniter splitter that is dead nuts simple to use and probably near impossible to break. It can do a pretty good test on a lot of the ignition related issues in short order.

HTH

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry for the delay in updating this.

well i pulled off the plastics/ seat/tank today and fitted new plugs just to be on the safe side. now though i have no sparks at all. am at my wits end with it now can't get a reading of current at the coils at all.

have tried another r/h switch to see if that made a difference but it did nothing. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts