Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
"he said the internet forums are completely unregulated (in other words...the factory can't control what gets posted and made public I assume)"

He told me a similar story... He told me that everyone who complains here are disgruntled dealer mechanics and unhappy dealers themselves. He is confident that the Triumph mystique will continue to sell bikes.
One thing I am learning is that HE does not call the shots... The dealers are who he and the warranty folks pay attention to. If the dealer goes to bat for you then you will probably get satisfactory results. But "us" against "them" doesnt seem to mean much to Triumph North America.

I called England and got sympathy and surprise about the troubles we have here with getting warranty parts approved and shipped. They said that they are trying to correct such issues. Call England and also call back your dealer and see if anyone can talk again to the warranty people about the wheel problems.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think this is a hit or miss problem. It can happen in the "truing" process or it could be flaws in the spokes being supplied. To have a spoke break really would piss me off, but I would just go out and buy a new spoke and replace it. I would then check all spokes front and back. I know this is not the message you want to hear, but it is your ass in the saddle. I agree, complain to the dealer, complain to Triumph, in writing with copies to both, but first priority is to make sure your machine is safe. On my 68' chopper, I laced a HD rear wheel (I know,..I know) to my Triumph hub. Four years later, without reason, I had a spoke snap off at the hub. I know it was true and balanced, but it still broke. I then checked all spokes on both wheels and replaced the spoke. Possible bad metal??? Who knows. Your feelings are understandable. It might be inconvenient, but maybe Triumph should take random samples of say 1000 spokes and magnaflux them and inspect for inferior metal or cracks. Unfortunately, in all manufacturing, there is always "an acceptable margin" for error.

[ This message was edited by: Jimi_X on 2006-10-03 19:13 ]

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
guys, just my tuppence worth:

I don't know if you've read the 800 plus posts on the delphi forum new triumph bonneville sight: delphi forum 'spoke' thread but I mentioned a couple of things there that I haven't seen on this thread yet.

1. All Hinkley wire wheels are built by Central Wheel Components in Birmingham, they told me this when I phoned them: Central Wheel link

2. When this bogey of rear wheel spoke breakage came to my attention, I asked Central Wheel specifically "Do you build Triumph's wire wheels with a cheaper grade of 'bought-in' spoke supplied by Triumph?" (Triumph supply CW with hubs, rims etc they source themselves, to build the wheels with) I was told they used the same material as they use to make all other Central Wheel spokes. I also emailed them the delphi thread link and asked for their views on the subject, I've had no reply.

I've done 8,000 miles on my bike since I got it in March, but I've rebuilt the wheels twice in that period (long story) retaining the original spokes. I've had no breakages so far, but I've safety wired them just incase. At least the outside left spoke (which is the most commonly broken one) won't fly out and hit the caliper to then be driven through the tube, as has happened to some people.

johny's album, including wheel stuff

ps. I edited with a different photo link when I realiised it was me that was making the page w i d e :-D

[ This message was edited by: johnyC on 2006-10-14 17:07 ]

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
On 2006-10-02 21:08, Mecchanica wrote:
Spoked wheels aren't inherently problematical.......they have been fitted to all sorts of motorcycles for a hundred years. THIS batch of wheels is a problem, and it is EASILY fixed.
Take the inititative. Pull your wheel, remove the tire, loosen the spokes and then true your rim. Just do it. If you have been wrasslin' with these idiots for a month or more and losing sleep because you don't trust your wheels, then you need to JUST FIX IT!! You will have both your motorcycle back and a bit of pride in learning a bit of a relatively arcane art. It can only make things better.
Yeah, yeah, I know, it shouldn't be this way.....they should just fly some Brit in a tux and apron to your door to replace your wheel and remind you that "Triumph wheels NEVER break a spoke". But.............ain't a gonna happen.
Anyone who had and LOVED a Triumph in the late 70s, 80s, 90s realized that there wasn't gonna be any help from Meriden. You were on your own. And it isn't rocket science, and you CAN do it. So dive in. You have help on this site and others if you get jammed. At least you aren't sitting paralyzed, waiting for mama to help. Knowlege is power and power isn't free. Go for it.
Exceptional posting....this is what I'd do if I had a issue, I think it's important to remember also that this seem's to be very hit and miss.

Spoke wheel's require maintence....!

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
On 2006-10-02 21:08, Mecchanica wrote:
Spoked wheels aren't inherently problematical.......they have been fitted to all sorts of motorcycles for a hundred years. THIS batch of wheels is a problem, and it is EASILY fixed.
Take the inititative. Pull your wheel, remove the tire, loosen the spokes and then true your rim. Just do it. If you have been wrasslin' with these idiots for a month or more and losing sleep because you don't trust your wheels, then you need to JUST FIX IT!! You will have both your motorcycle back and a bit of pride in learning a bit of a relatively arcane art. It can only make things better.
Yeah, yeah, I know, it shouldn't be this way.....they should just fly some Brit in a tux and apron to your door to replace your wheel and remind you that "Triumph wheels NEVER break a spoke". But.............ain't a gonna happen.
Anyone who had and LOVED a Triumph in the late 70s, 80s, 90s realized that there wasn't gonna be any help from Meriden. You were on your own. And it isn't rocket science, and you CAN do it. So dive in. You have help on this site and others if you get jammed. At least you aren't sitting paralyzed, waiting for mama to help. Knowlege is power and power isn't free. Go for it.
Thats the right idea! Don't be a victim and learn how to take care of your wheels without help from the feds. Heres a link to How to maintain spokes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I jumped to the Japan bikes years ago for the same "percieved"slight by American (HD) and British and Italian mfg's (Triumph and Benelli) but after a few miles and several (big-4) jap bikes, found THEY do not want to fix a problem either but will tell you, " that is an old part, buy a new bike or go to the bone-yard" this on a 4 to 5 year old bike...I have placed 100K+ miles on my Hinckley Triumphs and . yes have had some problems, usually of my own negligence/lack of maint. but of the myriad of marquees that I've owned/ridden ... the modern Triumph, in my opinion, is still the best....and even with the "attitude" you find associated with motorcycles (lack of customer service) I must say, Triumph has given me the best service of the other marquees,,, not to say perfect but comparably better.....
i.e. don't just give up.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Try not to be overly judgemental on Peter's approach, or his opinion of internet forums. I've never met him, but it is common for some personalities to be critical of discussion boards.

When they say they can't control, it also means that they rarely can contribute or comment - even if they want to.

It is why I'm a proponent of dealers taking ownership of these types of situations. In my opinion, no customer should be calling a distributor/manufacturer. When dealers allow their customers to go around them, their opportunities for additional sales/repairs goes with it - even if Triumph does what the customer wants, they'll never regain full confidence in their dealer.

Just my thoughts ...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
It is why I'm a proponent of dealers taking ownership of these types of situations. In my opinion, no customer should be calling a distributor/manufacturer. When dealers allow their customers to go around them, their opportunities for additional sales/repairs goes with it - even if Triumph does what the customer wants, they'll never regain full confidence in their dealer.
Absolutely right, if for no other reason than it is in their own best interest.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
This Thruxton is my first new motorcycle in the 38 years of my participation in the "sport", so I have nothing to compare the service to. But, so far, the dealer has attempted to put things right with no complaint.
I will send a report of what I found about my wheels to the factory.
The left inner spokes were, on average, looser than the other spokes. Since these are the spokes that seem to be giving the most trouble, could be a problem of assembly at CW and lack of inspection at the factory. The people who fit the tires should take each wheel before fitting the tire, spin it and tap the spokes with a rod while listening to the tone of the "ring". Then tighen the loose ones. Then yell at the CW people, or send a batch of the wheels back to them for fixing. I suspect their problem with broken spokes would disappear.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.